Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Added fruit to secondary, but there's not much activity

Old 12-24-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Added fruit to secondary, but there's not much activity

Hi everyone,

I made a 6 gallon batch with North Coast organic apple juice and Cotes Des Blancs dry yeast. It sat in primary for 1 month. I checked the other day and gravity was at 1.000. I pasteurized 5 lbs of apricots and racked the cider onto them. It's been 48 hours and there is very little airlock activity. It bubbles, but veeeery slowly. Is this normal? When I add fresh fruit to beer, it always has a crazy secondary fermentation.

I don't keg. I carb and bottle my cider just like my beer. I also don't pasteurize, I just make sure I'm at 1.000 and back sweeten appropriately. I plan on letting this one sit for another month or so, but I've never added fresh fruit to my cider, so I just wanted to know if I should add a packet of fresh yeast, or just leave it be.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Sounds good to me. I thought it was probably okay, but it never hurts to ask...

Merry Christmas!