Checking i won't poison myself - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Checking i won't poison myself

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
brentesler
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 7


Brewing a fruit beer or the first time. To add the fruit i have froze the strawberries, then defrosted them, once thawed i added a teaspoon of youngs potassium metabisulphate to the bowl of strawberries, then left for 12 hours and i am now going to empty the contents of the bowl into a secondary and rack beer on top of it.. Only thing is, on the packaging of the sodium metabisulphate it says harmful when eaten. Is it fine to go ahead and rack the beer or am i going to poison myself haha ?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
FastAndy
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Denver, CO
Posts: 1,131
Liked 173 Times on 135 Posts


If I recall correctly a teaspoon might be a bit much. I think it's about about a 1/4 TSP per 6 gallons of wine, does the package have a recommended dosage?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
brentesler
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 7

Yes, one teaspoon per pint of water. But says that it is for sterilising home brewing and household implements, so not sure if it's appropriate to sterilise fruit with it

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
stpug
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 3,600
Liked 665 Times on 559 Posts


That seems like too much sulfites and could be carried over to your secondary. If I were in your shoes I would boil up so water, quickly cool it, and rinse your sulfited strawberries with the water to get the excess off of them prior to putting in secondary. The sterile water will ensure you don't introduce any new bacteria to them and help get the excess off.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
JollyIsTheRoger
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Northwest Indiana/Chicago
Posts: 520
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brentesler View Post
Yes, one teaspoon per pint of water. But says that it is for sterilising home brewing and household implements, so not sure if it's appropriate to sterilise fruit with it
That is the dosage to make a sanitizing solution. Some people will use that instead of starsan or iodophor. The 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons is the dosage for killing off wild yeast. Sulphite levels will drop over time, but you may have an issue getting your bottles to carbonate if you are bottle conditioning if they haven't dropped enough. I would second the suggestion for the near boiling water rinse right before adding to secondary.
__________________
Small homebrew facebook group for trading, advice, and general bragging. PM me if you join- http://www.facebook.com/groups/256122024462215/
One gallon brewing blog http://onegallonbrewing.blogspot.com/

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I mix up some poison? kc_in_wv Cider Forum 7 01-10-2011 11:51 AM
poison oak/ivy trailblazer General Chit Chat 35 01-30-2010 02:24 PM
Did i just poison myself? Hooraybeer! Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 19 02-13-2008 03:41 AM
Poison? Cellophane Mead Forum 3 08-31-2006 03:49 PM


Forum Jump