Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Burner , good price , 210K BTU here it is

Old 02-21-2013, 11:57 PM   #11
MarcusKillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I have not had it long enough to know . I really do not see it using more than any other as a small burner would take a lot more to boil 5 gallons of water than a large burner but this does use more gas since it has that huge burner in it but then boiling faster I think should save gas in the long run . An hour and a half for a 35K to boil 7 gallons or maybe 20 minutes or so for this one . I am not good at record keeping so I do not know . I only used it a few times so far and used with two different bottles .
I do not know about where you live but here menards sells propane cheaper than others . I also used to get my bottles filled at a RV place and it was much cheaper .

Old 07-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusKillion View Post
I have not had it long enough to know . I really do not see it using more than any other as a small burner would take a lot more to boil 5 gallons of water than a large burner but this does use more gas since it has that huge burner in it but then boiling faster I think should save gas in the long run . An hour and a half for a 35K to boil 7 gallons or maybe 20 minutes or so for this one . I am not good at record keeping so I do not know . I only used it a few times so far and used with two different bottles .
I do not know about where you live but here menards sells propane cheaper than others . I also used to get my bottles filled at a RV place and it was much cheaper .
Are you still happy wit this burner? Do you think it could support a keggle?

Old 07-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #13
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Default pics

posting some pics for measurements
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005 (Medium).jpg
Views:	317
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	136644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture (Medium).jpg
Views:	308
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	136645   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004 (Medium).jpg
Views:	313
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	136646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003 (Medium).jpg
Views:	309
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	136647   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002 (Medium).jpg
Views:	311
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	136648  

Old 07-22-2013, 02:03 AM   #14
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Thanks for posting these pictures. Gonna call in an order tomorrow.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:24 AM   #15
DRog00
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wonder why the photo on the website is different than the one you received? The one pictured doesn't look anything alike, but, what you did get looks like my burner.

Look at the gas inlet end..

In the picture online, the burner is bolted, not welded in place, but your photo differs?

Also, that looks way cheaper than the real Bayou Classic version. I modified a friend's Bayou Classic burner to move the burner up (instructions found on the internet somewhere), and I had much more than a few tacks to cut off vs what is shown in your second photo.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 345

Looks beefy! I wish they made comparably cheaper versions of the smaller burners- I just don't need that much heat but am done with my turkey fryer.

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 07-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #17
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

The bayou classic is very thin as far as I have seen from them . Legs are flimsy and can not hold the kind of weight this does . This is actually a revamped bayou classic KAB4 I think it was . this is far more sturdy . the legs are welded in 5 places down the inside of the body and the top of the leg . They do have a KAB6 210,000 BTU now that will hold large pots and is sturdy but the price is far greater .

EDIT: Also the legs are welded on both sides to the body so that is 10 welds per leg to the body and one to the top of the leg to the leg.

Reason: more welding info

Old 07-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #18
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksin View Post
Looks beefy! I wish they made comparably cheaper versions of the smaller burners- I just don't need that much heat but am done with my turkey fryer.
yes it seems that smaller BTU burners are priced a bit high and also a lot of them are not worth owning for any reason like the one I bought from Menards . JUNK . Yellow flame all the time and took 1 1/2 hours I think it was to boil a 7 gallons . blackened my pot from soot.
I just turn this one up to get a boil fast and then turn the flame way down low for my 7 to 8 gallon boils . It may still eat up a bit more propane than the other one I have but I am not sure since the other one takes so long to boil but it is only 34K BTU I think.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #19
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing

Recipes 

Liked 628 Times on 552 Posts
Likes Given: 1765

That looks like a decently constructed burner stand, not the flimsy kind you see everywhere.

Don't stare blind on given data. Large numbers sell better...

From Blichmann's website:
We also documented that the published BTU of competitive burners varied wildly from actual measured results. Measuring the performance is straightforward: Simply run the burner for an hour at full power and measure the weight of the propane used in pounds. Then, multiply the weight in pounds by 21,000 to get the burner rating in BTU / hour. For example. the Bayou Classic has a published rating of 180 KBTU / hour but only measured at 68 KBTU / hour.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandLizard View Post
That looks like a decently constructed burner stand, not the flimsy kind you see everywhere.

Don't stare blind on given data. Large numbers sell better...

From Blichmann's website:
We also documented that the published BTU of competitive burners varied wildly from actual measured results. Measuring the performance is straightforward: Simply run the burner for an hour at full power and measure the weight of the propane used in pounds. Then, multiply the weight in pounds by 21,000 to get the burner rating in BTU / hour. For example. the Bayou Classic has a published rating of 180 KBTU / hour but only measured at 68 KBTU / hour.
just like fuel mileage . Never really what they say .
I do not know what it eats but I am very happy with the performance and time to boil my 8 gallons and I bet I could set my car on top of it like a jack stand with no problems . The way they bent the legs is an engineering move that I bet makes it much stronger than the bayou it was made from . Not that the bayou is bad at all . The KBA6 looks good.