Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Leak or Carbonation?

Old 12-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Derick_Z
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Keg Leak or Carbonation?

I'm going to keg for the first time soon (hopefully tonight) and in preparation I replaced the o-rings around the dip tubes and thoroughly cleaned the keg. I then filled it about 2.5 gallons of starsan and sealed it up. Today I decided to make sure the keg was holding pressure before I put all the beer in it, so I pressurized it to 20 psi and then turned off the gas. When I came back a couple hours later, the pressure was down to 18ish. At first I thought I had a small leak somewhere, but after going over everything a few times I suddenly realized that it might be carbonating the sanitizer.

Any thoughts? Would the psi drop be that quick? The keg is at room temp. Should I drain the keg before I try to figure out if it's holding pressure so that carbonation doesn't come into play, or does it not matter?

Thanks!

Old 12-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
ffaoe
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Sounds normal. The co2 saturates the water when under pressure like that and will eventually find an equilibrium. You can always check for leaks with a spray bottle of soapy water, but you should be fine.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Derick_Z
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah I've sprayed around everywhere I can see, so unless it's leaking from the QD then I should be fine I suppose! I just wasn't sure how quickly the sanitizer would absorb the CO2, but I'm glad I stopped to think about it before I went crazy trying to find the leak!

Thanks