Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yes or No-Mr.Malty rates too high?

Old 12-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
PistolaPete
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Yes or No-Mr.Malty rates too high?

Just taking a poll here:

Do you think Mr. Malty rates are too high? Also give a reason for your your answer, if you would like. (Also let me know if you use the Date/Viability feature on the calculator.)

Old 12-22-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 473 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 741

I use the date/viability and never had a problem with the pitching rates that the calculator spits out. I guess if you think it's too high....then don't use it. Not sure why it's a concern.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #3
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 844 Times on 624 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Too high in the sense that it's unnecessary in my opinion. Too high in the sense that it will ruin your beer? No.
AnOldUR Likes This 
Old 12-23-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 534 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I use it and find it pretty accurate. I do use the date feature. That being said, sometimes I get in a rush and can't always do a starter.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Always use date/viability. Always have success. Is it conservative? Maybe. Does it work every time? Absolutely.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard
daksin Likes This 
Old 12-23-2012, 04:42 AM   #6
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
always use date/viability. Always have success. Is it conservative? Maybe. Does it work every time? Absolutely.
+1

Old 12-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Sometimes I wonder. For instance:
Mr. Malty tells me I need a 1 liter starter, for a 5.5 gallon batch, withan OG of 1.035, and a yeast production date of today.
But I am sure I have heard "Mr, Malty" himself say on his podcasts, how one doesn't need a starter in low gravity beer, and that it's a great way to build up the yeast for larger gravity batch.
I still use the calculator, but for my session beers I don't worry about it that much.

Old 12-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If you don't like the results with Mr. Malty, You could try yeastcalc.com instead.
MattHollingsworth Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
PistolaPete
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Cool thanks for the replys. I was just wondering since I had some yeast made on 9/9/12 and Mr. Malty said I needed a 1lt starter and 3 vials of yeast even w/ a stir plate. It just sounded kinda high once I entered the production date. I remember the days when I just pitched one liquid pack or vial and didn't worry about it and never had a problem, but I would assume I'm making "better" beer now using more yeast and starters. (I did try YEASTCALC.COM and it came up with the same rates as well.)

Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolaPete View Post
Cool thanks for the replys. I was just wondering since I had some yeast made on 9/9/12 and Mr. Malty said I needed a 1lt starter and 3 vials of yeast even w/ a stir plate. It just sounded kinda high once I entered the production date. I remember the days when I just pitched one liquid pack or vial and didn't worry about it and never had a problem, but I would assume I'm making "better" beer now using more yeast and starters.
If you're ever in a situation like that again I highly recommend Yeastcalc.com. Stepped starters will quickly take you from one older vial to correct pitching density, most of the time with just one extra step. Saves big $$$ and only takes another 1-2 days. I just get my yeast ready a week ahead of time that way I know I'm set and I can cold crash and decant the spent wort.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard
MattHollingsworth Likes This