Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Label Display & Discussion > What the devil is a "fired-on"

Old 12-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
FabulousVagabond
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

Default What the devil is a "fired-on"

I was looking at a preview of "Beer Craft: A Simple Guide to Making Great Beer," and in the table of contents under the chapter about designing labels and bottle caps, there's a section about designing fired-ons. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what a fired-on is. I've never heard of it, and my search efforts are bringing up any relevant results.

FabulousVagabond.com

Old 12-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
jakenbacon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 233

Assuming it's the labels like Stone's. But don't know and am curious as well. Subscribed.....

Old 12-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2869 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Is the design process involving making a stencil? Maybe it's some sort of heat set printing. Like where you apply a glue to whatever through a stencil, then dust it with a colored heat set powder which you then use a heat gun on it, to set the ink and raise the letters, and you end up with embossed letters?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
funkadelicturkey
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 3046

My guess is the image is printed using special ink to a Transfer paper then using a kiln transferred onto a bottle.

More info here: http://www.fired-on.com/

Old 12-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2869 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

That looks amazing.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
FabulousVagabond
Recipes 

Likes Given: 11

I asked the authors of the book. Their answer: "label painted directly on the bottle glass." I'm guessing the "fired" part has to do with heating the paint so that it's permanent. Makes a lot more sense now.

FabulousVagabond.com

Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #7
ruralbrew
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I guess I got a "fired on" pint glass as a Christmas present. My daughter used glass paint to paint designs on glasses, they heated them in the oven to make the paint permanent.
So I have a custom pint glass that says "Dad's Homebrew" on it.

I may be ignorant but that doesn't stop me from having an opinion
Revvy Likes This