Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian Strong Ale > Partial - Dubbel Date

Old 07-31-2013, 12:53 AM   #11
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 567 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 211

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost View Post
I love the idea of using dates in a dubbel. I may have to add that into my dubbel recipe when I brew it again.

Do you feel like you got significant flavor by adding it just at flame out and only for 10 minutes? I would be tempted to add it for the last bit of the boil and then maybe also add some to secondary. Do you think that would make a significant different in the flavor contribution?
I have not had one in a while so I opened one tonight to taste it again. Yum.

I think I got just the right amount of flavor adding the dates when I did. I chopped them pretty fine so the flavor came out easily. The date sugar also added to the flavor slightly. Just like when I cook I do not like flavors to dominate but be subtle additions.

Adding the dates to to boil could add pectin so it could be a problem, so it is usually not recommended. If you want a stronger date flavor, either add more or you could add some to the secondary.