Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Fermentation Stuck?

Old 12-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
txlonghorns23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation Stuck?

I started making mixed berry wine on tuesday (december 18th). It only bubbled for 2 days and it now has stopped. I put in 2 pounds of dextrose for the 3 gallons of juice. I used a 5 gram packet of Red Star Pasteur Red. I sanitized and did everything I normally would do. Can someone tell me what happened and how it can be fixed? I have yet to try it because I am always very cautious about removing the airlock

Old 12-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
FlyinDan1017
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What was your starting SG, and what is it now? Usually, you'll want to do primary fermentation in an open container (bucket), then transfer to a carboy w/ airlock when it slows. It could have simply finished very quickly. Best bet is to take an SG to see where you stand.

If it is stuck, make youself a starter w/ warm water. After 45mins, add 1/4oz of the must. Wait another 2hrs, and add 1/2oz of must. Repeat this 2-3 more times every 2-3hrs and you'll have a very strong starter colony to restart. When adding, slowly pour onto the top of the must but don't stir. After 10-12hrs, stir deeply to integrate. Monitor the SG and transfer to secondary and airlock when ready.

Good Luck!!

Secondary: Coco-Strawberry Wine, Pumpkin Wine, Apple Cider

Bottled/Aging: Pear Wine, Strawberry Wine, Blueberry/Blackberry Wine, Mixed Berry Wine (Blueberry, Blackberry, Strawberry, Raspberry, & Cherry), Jalapeno Liquor, Skeeder Pee

Old 12-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #3
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You really need to use a hydrometer to determine what is going on with your wine. Airlock activity is not a reliable method. But do not be afraid to remove the airlock to take a reading, your wine is tougher than you think especially if you have proper SO2 on board and have must in proper temperature ranfe.
I ferment in a bucket, lid just covering, typically lasts for 5-8 days and even stir twice a day, with no oxidization. Once the O.G. drops by 2/3 I transfer to carboy and secure airlock. But many people prefer to start with airlock from the start-a matter of choice.

I once had a wine ferment from 1.098 to 0.998 in less than 72 hours after pitching the same yeast, Pasteur Red.

But you will not know until you check the S.G.