Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Brewing mead or "honey beer"

Old 11-28-2005, 09:51 PM   #21
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsinger
Sorry, I checked the White Labs yeast bottle, it was Sweet Mead/Champagne yeast, so I guess it is champagne yeast after all.

It's been brewing for 3-4 days now, no active head on top, and modest bubble activity in the airlock. Odd, all my ales have a huge head by the 2nd day. This stuff is interesting.

Try this out - I stop it at the sweetness I like and KILL the yeast remaining - then mini-keg it with co2 for carbonation. Actually I may split the batch and try both methods, mini-keg 2 gallons and prime/bottle 3 gallons.

And I may end up dumping the whole batch. . .
What? Mead does not get a head as beer does. There's nothing wrong with your mead.

Don't try to stop the sweetness. You used a vial of Sweet Mead/Champagne yeast. Your mead will be like sweet champagne, not dry. I have used this one too.

To make a "dry" champagne you have to use another yeast that makes it dry (tasting). A "dry (liquid) champagne" ferments out most of the sugar, and does not mean "dry" as in a dry yeast.

On the other hand, if you're going to do some crazy experimenting them I would fill 1 keg and let the rest of it ferment out. Be sure you check the gravity beforehand...IMHO I think it will explode.

If you're planning on dumping the batch I am certain you'll get takers...maybe me...where are you? AAAARGH! Seattle...too far.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:42 PM   #22
fsinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan
Eh? I assume you mean DRY Mead/Champagne yeast
I'm confused too. The yeast is WLP720, called "Sweet Mead/Wine" yeast, but the bottle says Sweet Mead/Champagne yeast.

We'll see what happens, right now not much!

Old 11-29-2005, 07:48 PM   #23
fsinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
If you're planning on dumping the batch I am certain you'll get takers...maybe me...where are you? AAAARGH! Seattle...too far.
No sweat, I'll drain the carboy into a priorty mail envelope and send it anywhere you like.

On second thought, I think I'll follow your advice and see this one to the bitter (or sweet, I hope) end!

Old 11-29-2005, 09:46 PM   #24
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It'll be sweet...trust me!

Old 11-29-2005, 10:18 PM   #25
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsinger
I'm confused too. The yeast is WLP720, called "Sweet Mead/Wine" yeast, but the bottle says Sweet Mead/Champagne yeast.

We'll see what happens, right now not much!
From the White Labs web site -

Sweet Mead/Wine(WLP720)

A wine yeast strain that is less attenuative than WLP715, leaving some residual sweetness. Slightly fruity and will tolerate alcohol concentrations up to 15%. A good choice for sweet mead and cider, as well as Blush wines, Gewürztraminer, Sauternes, Riesl
Attenuation: 75; Flocculation: Low; Optimum Ferm. Temp: 70-75

Edit - I've bolded the bits that make sense to this thread

Sounds an ideal yeast to have used for what you want! Let it do it's thing and enjoy!

Old 11-29-2005, 10:45 PM   #26
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Meade

You will want to verify that the yeast culture you are using can handle high sugar. You might consider some spices to add like nutmeg and cinnimon.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:50 PM   #27
fsinger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis77
You might consider some spices to add like nutmeg and cinnimon.
I'm planning on adding 4 oz of raspberry flavoring at the end with the priming sugar. I agree with the spices, and if this works out I will change from raspberry to some good spices as you suggest on the next batch. I can't think of a good spice with raspberry, which is the flavor I want.

To Dave (Caplan): Thanks for the input again. I'll report how this comes out. I am afraid of exploding bottles, so I am going to mini-draft part of it. That stays in the fridge so it should be safe. Darn, this stuff might be good!

Old 12-05-2005, 12:06 AM   #28
Genghis77

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Meade

Three or 4 days is pretty early on for a meade. You need to give plenty more time for the yeast to convert the sugars from honey.

Old 12-20-2005, 08:29 PM   #29
fsinger
Recipes 

Default update on "honey brew"

I started this thread with my concerns about the making of a sweet "beer" type drink with honey. I got some good advice and struck out to see what would happen.

Here is an update at 12/20/05: The brew was made of 12 lbs honey, water and Sweet Mead/Champaign yeast. It worked very slowly for 2 weeks, at which time I racked to another carboy. The yeast picked up its activity once more a couple of days after racking, and then slowed to a stop a few days ago. About 3+ weeks total frementation.

So I added raspberry flavoring (sorry, I have tons of frozen raspberry jam, but it's too good to risk on an experiment). I primed with a little over 1/2 cup of corn sugar (4-1/2 gallons of brew). I bottled 12 quarts for primed/secondary fermentation and put 5 liters into my mini-draft system.

The brew was pretty clear at bottle time, but VERY sweet. I'm worried about that, and have covered the bottles in case they explode. The mini-draft will be done this week-end, so I'll be able to try it with proper carbonation.

I'll update on the results after a week or so. I'll either have something great, or basic soda pop that I can't give to my grandkids.

I'm brewing a batch of my good stuff today - enough of the "honey brew" experiment.