Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Cornelius Queries
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2007, 01:24 PM   #1
jfrizzell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 691
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Cornelius Queries

I keep hearing that Cornelius kegs are available to home brewers because Coke and Pepsi have switched to bag-in-box technology. I've also heard that some people have had luck getting kegs from their local Coke or Pepsi bottlers. So...I thought I'd give them a call and see what I could find out. Both told me that they're still distributing soda in the kegs and they don't sell them.

Is this a regional thing? Perhaps they still distribute a certain amount in kegs for people that haven't made the switch?


jfrizzell is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,337
Liked 705 Times on 400 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell
I keep hearing that Cornelius kegs are available to home brewers because Coke and Pepsi have switched to bag-in-box technology. I've also heard that some people have had luck getting kegs from their local Coke or Pepsi bottlers. So...I thought I'd give them a call and see what I could find out. Both told me that they're still distributing soda in the kegs and they don't sell them.

Is this a regional thing? Perhaps they still distribute a certain amount in kegs for people that haven't made the switch?
You won't get much cooperation from the big soda companies.

Get ahold of someone like www.brewersdiscount.com or beveragefactory.com...

They have reasonable prices on functional cornies.


BierMuncher is online now
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
jfrizzell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 691
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
You won't get much cooperation from the big soda companies.

Get ahold of someone like www.brewersdiscount.com or beveragefactory.com...

They have reasonable prices on functional cornies.
Thanks. I figured it was a long shot but thought I'd give it a try. I've been looking at Brewers Discount and they did have two kegs for $38, but I don't see that anymore. Looks like they're $25 each now. I emailed them about a week ago asking if they still had them for that price and haven't heard back from them. Need to give them a call.
jfrizzell is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 22,748
Liked 1299 Times on 853 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

It is true that some accounts still require cornies for soda and it has something to do with the syrup in a box requiring a bulk order. I don't know why, but they're able to order one or two cornies of each type of syrup but they'd have to buy say 12 boxes of each type if they want that. The other issue is having to change out to syrup pumps instead of forcing it out of a corny with CO2 they already need to have.

Of course, homebrewers have access now because the corny usage is probably only 5% of what it was at one point. There's surplus.

You don't want to call the big companies, you want the local distributors. Most of them have unloaded all the cornies that they don't need to places that now sell them. I have no doubt the markup is about 400%.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
New 100% Stainless Steel Heating Elements are IN! ULWD 5500w Ripple, 2000w, 1500w, etc
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.
Bobby_M is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
BlindLemonLars
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,445
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell
Thanks. I figured it was a long shot but thought I'd give it a try. I've been looking at Brewers Discount and they did have two kegs for $38, but I don't see that anymore. Looks like they're $25 each now. I emailed them about a week ago asking if they still had them for that price and haven't heard back from them. Need to give them a call.
One of the kegs I got from Brewer's Discount had clearly been dropped on it's top, with a cracked leaky lid and a bent post. Customer service was less than ideal...I was told that the kegs were fine when shipped, and that I would have to send pictures of the damage before he'd replace the parts. I found it insulting, and absurd that I'm expected to photographically document a leak. I've had much better luck with kegs from Midwest supplies.

I've also bought four from this seller on eBay. They are the type with one rigid handle (instead of that nasty, decomposing black rubber) and the price is great. 2 kegs for $35, and shipping was another $10 or so.

(2) 5 GALLON CORNELIUS SODA KEGS
BlindLemonLars is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
kvh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrizzell
Thanks. I figured it was a long shot but thought I'd give it a try. I've been looking at Brewers Discount and they did have two kegs for $38, but I don't see that anymore. Looks like they're $25 each now.
Wow, his prices have been going up. I got all of mine from there for $16 each plus shipping.

Bummer.

kvh
__________________
Make beer, not bombs.
(...and not bottle bombs either.)
Primary Fermentor - *empty*
Primary Fermentor -

Secondary - Mystery IPA
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Keg Conditioning -

Draft: - Apfelwein, Belgian-style Dubbel w/ Grains of Paradise
Bottles:(and still in stock): FIRST AG - (I)IPA 4.1.07, PK's Warm Spring Marzen, Summer Cerveza -BANG, PK's Winter Spice II, Espresso Stout, Indiana Pale Ale, PK's Chocolate Bitter II, Porterfield Porter, and New Year's 2006 remnants.

kvh is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
jfrizzell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 691
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
One of the kegs I got from Brewer's Discount had clearly been dropped on it's top, with a cracked leaky lid and a bent post. Customer service was less than ideal...I was told that the kegs were fine when shipped, and that I would have to send pictures of the damage before he'd replace the parts. I found it insulting, and absurd that I'm expected to photographically document a leak. I've had much better luck with kegs from Midwest supplies.

I've also bought four from this seller on eBay. They are the type with one rigid handle (instead of that nasty, decomposing black rubber) and the price is great. 2 kegs for $35, and shipping was another $10 or so.

(2) 5 GALLON CORNELIUS SODA KEGS
Thanks for the tips. I'm a bit farther away from Oregon. Shipping to me is $25 for the two kegs. Still not a bad deal. I might have to consider that one.

jfrizzell is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 2,294
Liked 252 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

After much research I bought mine from Keg Connection for a reasonable price ($22 each + shipping). Todd sells both types too - single or double handle depending on what you like. Coloured ones too.

Kal
kal is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #9
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,969
Liked 309 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal
After much research I bought mine from Keg Connection for a reasonable price ($22 each + shipping). Todd sells both types too - single or double handle depending on what you like. Coloured ones too.
I bought my last 8 kegs from Todd at www.kegconnection.com too. He throws in new O-rings on every purchase. Todd is a great guy with great customer service. He comes highly recommended!
EdWort is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Nurmey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 4,001
Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

It pays to keep your eyes open. My local bottler told me that they won't sell them to individuals because of the liability so we ended up buying a few online. Then one day at work I struck it lucky.

The Chinese restaurant at the other end of the building went out of business. The restaurant was trashed so the building owner hired a company to come in and gut it. One day I walk out our back door and see the worker about to toss a keg into the dumpster. I yell at him from the other end of the building to stop and run down there. I find they are about to toss the 7 kegs that were abandoned in the restaurant. I felt it my duty to rescued them. I suppose the local bottler would have wanted them back but since the kegs were about to meet their fate in a dumpster, I didn't feel too bad about taking them.


__________________
Batch 1 Brewing
The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.
Nurmey is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cornelius keg help gnomepants Bottling/Kegging 7 07-31-2009 03:11 PM
How do I set up a Cornelius Keg? stee41 Equipment/Sanitation 1 07-01-2009 10:23 PM
mead newbie queries leoglenwood Mead Forum 3 09-20-2008 05:57 AM
Cornelius keg Adam's Apples Bottling/Kegging 5 01-16-2008 10:39 PM
Cornelius Kegging Brewman Bottling/Kegging 6 04-04-2005 07:46 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS