Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > TeensyPi Networked Temperature Controller

Old 03-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #271
danb35
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmayhugh View Post
I tried to install gerbmerge on my CentOS 6.4 system with no luck:
Didn't realize/remember you were running on Linux. I had trouble with gerbmerge on my Mac as well; ended up running it under Windows in a VM. It's python code, so it seems it should work fine under *nix, and I'm sure it does, but I didn't get that far.

Another option for schematic/PCB layout is KiCAD. It's free and Free, though I've heard some bad things about the UI. I haven't used it at all (I've used DipTrace a little, Eagle a little more), but being Free software, it doesn't have any size/layer/pin limits. I should also clarify that the no-cost version of DipTrace allows up to two signal layers, with any number of power and/or ground layers.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #272
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Got the LCD code running!!

I've integrated the LCD program into the TeensyPi, and currently have 1 RGB and 3 regular LCDs running on my new boards, reporting the status of 4 actions

It involved downloading a few new libraries, compiling a new C program, adding secondary groups to users, adding some new php files, and modifying some old ones.

I'm thinking that the easiest way to to this is to just make a new RPi image file, but if you've got something up and running, it may be a pain to re-setup everything.

If anyone wants to do it the hard way, let me know and I'll post the details, either way it may take a few days, with the Holiday and work

Cogito, ergo bibere cervisia sum

Old 04-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #273
jsbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Ordered some LCD boards and I'm told my switchboards have shipped. I finished a prototype of a simple control box I'm hoping to use for sous vide and fermenter control. It's my test bed for my brew controller too as I'm still struggling with PID tuning. Will work on getting cosm working as we'll.

Any thoughts on how difficult it would be to add a higher temp sensor for smoker control? Doesn't appear 1 wire is feasible over 240deg or so.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:38 PM   #274
jsbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbenn View Post
Almost finished with an updated UI. I can post the source files when I am done.

Hi Redbenn...Did I miss the posting of your source files?...Thanks!...Jon

Old 04-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #275
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Default More Updates

OK I've uploaded the new RPi Image that includes the LCD update software, it's version 0.0.19, as shown in /etc/motd. You can get a copy of the image here. This code should work with my LCD board or the Adafruit RGB LCD Pi Plate.

I've also modified the Teensy3.0 code to include CRC16 checking of the DS2406 status, since I found that very long line lengths and less than optimum topographies could cause read errors during status updates. If you're keeping your lines basically daisey-chained and short, this is probably of no concern to you, but I like to try to consider the worst case.

The Teensy3.0 code is version 0.0.8, and is available at my github account.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:41 AM   #276
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbird View Post
Ordered some LCD boards and I'm told my switchboards have shipped. I finished a prototype of a simple control box I'm hoping to use for sous vide and fermenter control. It's my test bed for my brew controller too as I'm still struggling with PID tuning. Will work on getting cosm working as we'll.

Any thoughts on how difficult it would be to add a higher temp sensor for smoker control? Doesn't appear 1 wire is feasible over 240deg or so.
Take a look here and here.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:46 PM   #277
jsbird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Take a look here and here.
Looks promising. There were some kits available that utilized the DS2760 in this way but they are no longer available. Looks like it's feasible to build my own but it would be a project and require a decent amount of coding mods to the Teensypi setup; will have to wait until I finish my brewing controller.

I've been having difficulties making the thermo probes. I purchased two waterproof probes and want to add phone jacks/cords but am finding the process of joining/soldering the 24 gauge wires difficult. I thought I'd be able to crimp them using the standard phone jack crimper but the wire sizes don't match. May I ask how you are doing it?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #278
alien
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 61

That's a pretty neat hack with the DS2760.

Solutions for PT100s, might look here:

http://www.ti.com/ww/en/industrial/s...rtd/index.html

Old 04-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #279
zdravac
Recipes 

Quote:
OK I've uploaded the new RPi Image that includes the LCD update software, it's version 0.0.19, as shown in /etc/motd. You can get a copy of the image here. This code should work with my LCD board or the Adafruit RGB LCD Pi Plate.

I've also modified the Teensy3.0 code to include CRC16 checking of the DS2406 status, since I found that very long line lengths and less than optimum topographies could cause read errors during status updates. If you're keeping your lines basically daisey-chained and short, this is probably of no concern to you, but I like to try to consider the worst case.

The Teensy3.0 code is version 0.0.8, and is available at my github account.
Hi! Im new here, following this thread for a while, and loved it! Great work!

Im trying to accomplish something simmilar to your project, it's a central heating system, but the principles are the same. Now to my first question; I downloaded your TeensyPi.ino file and tried to compile it, but I am missing some of the libraries. Either I missed this info somewhere in this thread, or it wasnt there. Could you post some links to the libs included in the .ino file please?

Second, since you started this project on the Arduino MEGA2560 (if I remember correctly), and switched to Teensy, does this code still work on MEGA2560?

Thanx again for the great work!

Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #280
jimmayhugh
Turgid Member

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdravac View Post
Hi! Im new here, following this thread for a while, and loved it! Great work!

Im trying to accomplish something simmilar to your project, it's a central heating system, but the principles are the same. Now to my first question; I downloaded your TeensyPi.ino file and tried to compile it, but I am missing some of the libraries. Either I missed this info somewhere in this thread, or it wasnt there. Could you post some links to the libs included in the .ino file please?
The library files should be available here

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdravac View Post
Second, since you started this project on the Arduino MEGA2560 (if I remember correctly), and switched to Teensy, does this code still work on MEGA2560?

Thanx again for the great work!
The MEGA2560 has more flash and EEPROM, but less SRAM than the Teensy 3.0.

The SRAM is where all of the arrays for the chips, actions, and PIDs are stored, as well as much of the debug strings and the last compile used an estimated 8164 bytes of SRAM. I'd probably not chance it as-is.

To make it work on the MEGA2560, you'd have to reduce the number of available chip, action and PID arrays, or strip out all of the debug code.

You'd also need level converters to use the 5v MEGA2560 with the 3.3v RPi.

Other than that, I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't compile and run.