Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > OK to leave wort for 24hrs?

Old 12-21-2012, 03:02 AM   #1
Enoch52
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default OK to leave wort for 24hrs?

My first attempt at partial-mash hasn't gone so well--I have a stuck sparge (well, it's not draining well long before I sparge), and although all the advice I've seen says not to stir while you're draining, it's the only way I'm getting anything coming out. I had trouble with my mash temps, too; I thought I had the temp right at 148*, but when I checked a few minutes later it had crept up to 154*. So I added some cold water and thought it was all right, but I think the temperature dropped down to about 140* or so for a good portion of the mash. At least this is only 3lbs of the grain bill--the gravity should be plenty high even if I get no sugars out of this. Still frustrating.

At any rate, it's 11pm already, and I'm looking at a 90min boil once I manage to get all the liquid out of the lauter tun. Is it going to harm anything if I store the wort for 18 hrs or so and boil it tomorrow?

Bottled: NB Irish Red; 1-gallon SMaSH IPA's: Citra, Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Mosaic; Bavarian Hefeweisen; Centennial Blonde; EdWort's apfelwein
Conditioning:
Primary: Mosaic IPA
On Deck: Cherry Melomel
Gone But Not Forgotten: Blue Schoon (Blue Moon clone)

Old 12-21-2012, 03:04 AM   #2
Zuljin
16%er
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3887 Times on 3488 Posts
Likes Given: 818

Probably not. Just keep it well sealed in a bucket.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #3
ATXweirdobrew
Recipes 

Shouldnt be a problem, just make sure it is sealed off well enough to keep gross contaminants out. If anything microbial gets in it will be killed off at the boil.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:14 AM   #4
mammothkraken
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I personally wouldn't store it a single second longer than you have to but you're still going to boil it so you should be fine. Just keep it closed up well.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #5
Enoch52
Recipes 

I don't really *want* to leave it, but I also don't want to be starting a 90-minute boil at midnight, either. If I do that I'll be lucky to be done by 2am.

Bottled: NB Irish Red; 1-gallon SMaSH IPA's: Citra, Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Mosaic; Bavarian Hefeweisen; Centennial Blonde; EdWort's apfelwein
Conditioning:

Old 12-21-2012, 03:20 AM   #6
Enoch52
Recipes 

Any thoughts on what my problem is? I assume it's not supposed to be this difficult, even with a cheap lauter tun (5-gal round cooler with about a foot of steel braid inside). Did the temperature drop cause this?

Conditioning:

Old 12-21-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
coosabrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

if the wort is below 120* for a length of time, the beer will come out tart. did that once. read that fact in brew your own mag. think it was ask the wizard.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:36 AM   #8
Enoch52
Recipes 

Oh geez. Well, I don't think it fell that far. I eventually brought it back up with hot water. I believe I read that lower temperatures will cause the formation of some sort of sugar that will gum up a sparge, though.

Conditioning:

Old 12-21-2012, 03:45 AM   #9
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
if the wort is below 120* for a length of time, the beer will come out tart. did that once. read that fact in brew your own mag. think it was ask the wizard.
I am assuming what you are referencing is talking about certain bacteria that will grow in wort causing a sour or tart taste, much like sour Flemishs, farmhouse ales and Berliner weisses. If avoidable I would not let my wort sit for that long pre-boil or post-boil before pitching but since you will be boiling it should be fine. Just keep it sealed shut until the boil.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
carsonwarstler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMbrewer

I am assuming what you are referencing is talking about certain bacteria that will grow in wort causing a sour or tart taste, much like sour Flemishs, farmhouse ales and Berliner weisses. If avoidable I would not let my wort sit for that long pre-boil or post-boil before pitching but since you will be boiling it should be fine. Just keep it sealed shut until the boil.
I recently did this with a batch. I've read and talked to a few people who do this quite often with good results. If you heat your wort to 180 to stop all enzymatic activity, then cover tight, all should go well. The only issue I heard about was possible dms issues but a 90 min vigorous boil should minimize that risk. My batch is fermenting well and smells fine. I guess we will see...