Anyone from Long Island on here? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Anyone from Long Island on here?

Old 12-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
BigHead33
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Long Island, New York
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey I'm wondering if there is anybody from Long Island NY monitoring this thread. I'm looking for a water report or some advice on how much gypsum to add to my HLT. I have been having trouble with low body, low head retention beers and wondering if the chemistry is the cause. Thanks

Old 12-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Long Island
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts

If you live in Suffolk county and use municipal water, you can get a water report from http://www.scwa.com/
Select Public Information, and water quality reports.
If you live in Nassau, I'm sure the supplier provides similar data.

-a.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Woodyswoodchuck
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm in Suffolk county. The link the other poster put up is your best way to best to find out what's in your water. Most Long Island water is from the aquifer and is usually pretty good for brewing.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
BigHead33
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Long Island, New York
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for the help guys. I brew in Islip. Do you guys alter your water chemistry at all? I use a carbon filter to filter out the chlorine and use gypsum added to the HL, but I am not sure I am adding enough.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
BigHead33
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Long Island, New York
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I reviewed the water quality report. It seems my water is low in 3 key elements for brewing purposes. Calcium, sulfate and magnesium. I'm assuming I can use gypsum to boost the calcium and sulfate levels, but not sure how to raise the magnesium levels.

Old 12-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #6
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Long Island
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts

If you really want to add magnesium, you can use Epsom Salts. I don't because according to George Fix and several others, malt already contains sufficient magnesium for brewing purposes.
When brewing pale ales (which I do 90% of the time) I add some gypsum for the Ca and SO4, and a touch of CaCl2 to boost the chloride. If I'm brewing a lager, I use enough CaCl2 to get the Ca up to 50 ppm, and forget the gypsum.

-a.

Old 12-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
BigHead33
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Long Island, New York
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, I think I'll try that. I am going to add a little table salt to boost the chloride too. I am brewing an American IPA next and I read these elements are important for hop bitterness