Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New Brewer, Noob Mistake and Question about Cold Break and OG

Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #1
breckenridge
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default New Brewer, Noob Mistake and Question about Cold Break and OG

OK, only mildly embarrassed.

Made my 4th batch today (partial mash - 3 gallon stockpot stovetop partial volume boil setup) and thought I'd give whirlpooling a try while the boil kettle was cooling in the ice bath. I stir it anyway, so why not let it do double work for me, right?

Start racking off the cooled wort, and it's *really* thick, almost gummy. After I've racked off maybe a gallon, I say, "This is taking too long," and decide to just pour it into the fermentation bucket. Wasn't getting any aeration with racking it anyway.

Pour off about half of what's left, and *then* I remember to use a strainer. I'll do a secondary and it'll clear up more or less, no big.

What I'm wondering is, I took an OG sample, and it said 1.040, which seems ridiculous, because the target is 1.064, and I can't think of how I'd be that far off. There was a *lot* of cold break material floating around in the sample vial. Is that throwing off my reading?

Thanks.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3026 Times on 2607 Posts
Likes Given: 2142

No,the cold break wouldn't throw off the reading. You just had a thick wort that made it even harder for the top off water to mix with it. If you haven't pitched on it yet,you could stir it some more to mix it better first. Did that once before.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
granpooba19

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Your wort was most likely not mixed thoroughly with the top off water.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/atte...-panic-289735/

Old 12-21-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
breckenridge
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Awesome, thanks for the reassurance and link. Makes perfect sense to me. I didn't stir at all between topping off and measuring OG, but shook mightily after I pitched. Should end up just fine. I was confident that it would make for a nice drinking beer, but now I'm more confident that it'll make something like the stout I was looking for.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #5
granpooba19

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by breckenridge View Post
Awesome, thanks for the reassurance and link. Makes perfect sense to me. I didn't stir at all between topping off and measuring OG, but shook mightily after I pitched. Should end up just fine. I was confident that it would make for a nice drinking beer, but now I'm more confident that it'll make something like the stout I was looking for.
Yup! RDWAHAHB!