LoCo VA AIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrogNerd

mean old man
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP008
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 days @ 64°
Tasting Notes
very dry with nice hop aroma and flavor
10 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.8 SRM)
1 lbs Munich Malt (5.0 SRM)
1 lbs Victory Malt (28.0 SRM)

2.00 oz Fuggles [4.10 %] - First Wort 60.0 min 15.4 IBUs
1.50 oz Cascade [6.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min 17.4 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins)
1.50 oz Cascade [6.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min 8.6 IBUs
1.25 oz Cluster [7.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min 7.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.60 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Sorachi Ace [11.30 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

my first all-grain, but with partial-boil

& breaking my HBT recipe database cherry

I like the mix of hops your using but worry that your ibu's are going through the roof. Go onto hopville.com or beer smith.com and input your recipe. Anything over 100 ibu's is undetectable to the human palette from my research I did on my last imperial ipa. I do make a 112ibu ipa myself that's perfect but I'd still run yours through something to check. You might be able to accomplish your hoppyness goal using less hops than what you are planning but then again, others may disagree with me.

recipe was formulated in beersmith and it said 49.1, hopville says 141. WOW

when I first brewed it, I had not planned the dry hop at all; thought that 49.1 (.830 ratio to OG) would be plenty. hydro reading at 10 days and there was very little bitterness and no hop flavor or aroma at all (used hop spider and that, I think, contributed to the lack of hoppyness). that's when I went to the LHBS and got the dry hops for it and threw them in for 7 days.

just had another one tonight after nearly 2 weeks in the bottle and I think it's turning out awesome.

Glad to hear its tasting good. My 115ibu ipa is so smooth nobody would ever guess the amount of hops in it. I have gotten a little bold though before and added to much hops in the past. What can I say, I love hops!

What a difference in ibu's! I use hopville myself and seem to trust it more even though some guys swear by beersmith. To be honest I would of been scared of 144 ibu's! Glad it worked out.

Back