Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Concrete Brew Stand

Old 12-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
justabrewin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Concrete Brew Stand

So my buddy and I were sitting around trying to think of a fun way to do a brew stand. Here are some mock-ups of what we came up with. (My buddy is a drafter). I am looking to start construction after the new year and have it finished by the end of February. I will update with many pictures as we progress.

The top is concrete and the rest of the stand is obviously wood. I love the look of some of the "higher-end" wooden brew stands I have seen on here, but didn't want to just simply place burner stands on top of wood. And yes, even though the chances are slim to none, I don't want to start any fires in my new house.

I am choosing to install three burners, just in case. I know it is unnecessary with my setup, but it would be difficult to undo concrete and I thought, "What the hell?". I have three bayou 15.5 gallon pots, one hot liquor tank, one mash tun, and one brew kettle. I would purchase three pumps and install them on the front of the stand. Propane tank would hang off the right side.

The concrete will be stablized with chicken wire and/or rebar. We will mold the concrete top first and then build the rest of the stand based on that. The legs are 4x4s, support is 2x4s. The pictures don't show it, but we'll bolt the 2x4s to the 4x4 obviously. I plan on staining the wood an espresso color and the concrete either black or a copper color - haven't decided yet. The stand will be 6ft wide, 2.5ft deep, and 3ft high. The holes for the burners will be 12in.

I didn't get a basement when we purchased our house last month, so my garage is going to be the Mancave. It will include a brew stand, work bench, bar, kegorator, and commercial mop sink (I have a hook up in there, thought it would be handy for brewing).

So that's pretty much that. Judgement, questions, criticism, laughter, or advice is welcomed

Disclaimer: I am somewhat of a newb at this. Only been brewing for 1.5 years and the majority of that was extract. And, I have not been able to brew in about 4 months because we just moved So any advice is appreciated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	857
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	89431   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	89432   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	89433   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	89434   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	89435  

Old 12-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
justabrewin
Recipes 

Continued:

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	801
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	89436   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	89437   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	89438  

Old 12-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #3
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 268

I think weight would be a factor here...are you making a stand that is too heavy? It being extremely top heavy would also be a risk.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 506 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I think it would be awesome. I love concrete tops, they can be tinted, finished and are pretty indestructible as well as heat resistant.

The only thing I would add to it is heavy duty casters with brakes. That sucker will be heavy and it you need to move it the casters work great

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 12-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
tservice
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I like the look, I just hope you never have to move it.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
justabrewin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
I think weight would be a factor here...are you making a stand that is too heavy? It being extremely top heavy would also be a risk.
I'm pretty confident the 4x4s would hold it fine, even with full kettles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
The only thing I would add to it is heavy duty casters with brakes. That sucker will be heavy and it you need to move it the casters work great
I forgot to mention that. Definitely getting some.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
justabrewin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tservice View Post
I like the look, I just hope you never have to move it.
I just purchased my first house and don't plan to move for 10+ years.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I think you will have issues with the concrete spalling due to the heat. I don't think it will be top heavy as I would have to believe that the height is going to be fairly low but based on the picture I would bet that top will weigh over 400lbs. I built a bar with a concrete top that wasn't nearly as thick as that and it weighed in at over 350lbs.

Burkey Street Brewery

Old 12-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #9
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 38

The heat from those burners will do quite a number on a concrete top. You can look at a slab of a house after a fire and the top of the slab flakes off. This setup would work AWESOME for a bottom-drained electric brewery, but I see problems using gas burners.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
justabrewin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmund View Post
I think you will have issues with the concrete spalling due to the heat. I don't think it will be top heavy as I would have to believe that the height is going to be fairly low but based on the picture I would bet that top will weigh over 400lbs. I built a bar with a concrete top that wasn't nearly as thick as that and it weighed in at over 350lbs.
Actually we are thinking the top will be 270lbs. The software we used (Solidworks) can calculate the weight based on the density of the concrete. Which according google is 1700 kg/m^3. We then converted that to lbs/in^3 and let the software do the rest.

Volume is 4422.48 cubic inches
Weight is 271.54 lbs

I'm not too concerned with spalling because the heat will not be directly firing on the concrete and will only be used for 90mins at a time. However, if I notice any flaking or other issues, we can always add risers on the pots or shield the concrete where the flame is closest.