American Pale Ale Citra Pale Ale- Oddsides Clone - Page 8 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Pale Ale Citra Pale Ale- Oddsides Clone
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #71
FATC1TY
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,610
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


Hope it turns out well. I updated my changes in the original recipe I posted. I'm going to rebrew this soon and have it on tap for the spring to roll around.


__________________
----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:27 PM   #72
davekippen
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 1,260
Liked 164 Times on 127 Posts


I always chuckle at some of the posts in a "clone" thread. Im not trying to hate, but the purpose of the OP is to share a clone recipe of an existing beer. Its purpose is not to tweak, modify, change, revise, or alter the recipe. The purpose is not to give advice on how other combinations of ingredients would work LOL. It just makes me laugh sometimes. OK Im done being an a**


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Zombie yeast wants graaaaaaaiiins!!!!!!
Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:10 AM   #73
FATC1TY
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,610
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
I always chuckle at some of the posts in a "clone" thread. Im not trying to hate, but the purpose of the OP is to share a clone recipe of an existing beer. Its purpose is not to tweak, modify, change, revise, or alter the recipe. The purpose is not to give advice on how other combinations of ingredients would work LOL. It just makes me laugh sometimes. OK Im done being an a**

I agree to a degree, but I think the great thing about brewing is the core point that you can change it so YOU like it.

But you are right. This is a direct clone of OS Citra Pale Ale, and changing obviously isn't going to make the intended beer. It'll surely make a great beer if you change the hop schedule around, but it's not the clone that you came looking for.

Oh yeah.. speaking of the beer.

Enjoying the above mentioned beer right now.. Oh so tasty, it's really good, but I'm pretty sure there are only about 2-3 more pulls of this from the keg! Need to do a double brew day this weekend now that I'm moved into my new pad.

__________________
----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #74
kodyind
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 46
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Here's a really close clone of the Citra Pale Ale from Oddsides, in Grand Haven, Michigan. Very close to what I remember it tasting like.

It's a fantastically, easy drinking, ultra flavorful Pale Ale. These guys make one of the best Pale's I've ever had, and the Brewer, and the Brewery are TOP NOTCH. The Headbrewer gave me some "direction" in designing/guessing the recipe, and it helped me greatly. I believe this one is very close to the original, and if anything makes a fantastic, easy drinking beer that is good to the last drop!

Mash @ 152* for 60 minutes.

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.0 %
12.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 2 6.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %
0.40 oz Citra [13.40 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 18.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 10.7 IBUs
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 7.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 0.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Flameout 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -
1.10 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10 min) Other 13 -
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Ferment it out cool, around 66-67*F.

It's a great tasting, balanced, and fruity Pale Ale. If you hate Citra, you are in the wrong place. The wheat is what gives this beer the slightly creamier, heavier mouthfeel that makes you love it. The lacing and head on the beer are perfect. So refreshing!



I am new to brewing and i am still bottling my beer, my question is how do i dry hop. i have never done it

thanks
jim

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #75
MoeIPA
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
St Charles, IL
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I agree to a degree, but I think the great thing about brewing is the core point that you can change it so YOU like it.

But you are right. This is a direct clone of OS Citra Pale Ale, and changing obviously isn't going to make the intended beer. It'll surely make a great beer if you change the hop schedule around, but it's not the clone that you came looking for.

Oh yeah.. speaking of the beer.

Enjoying the above mentioned beer right now.. Oh so tasty, it's really good, but I'm pretty sure there are only about 2-3 more pulls of this from the keg! Need to do a double brew day this weekend now that I'm moved into my new pad.

I agree that the OP is for the clone, but some of us that change the recipe around to get a different flavor shouldnt be called out. It just adds our .02 instead of creating a new thread as " OS Citra Pale ale with a different hop schedule " perhaps someone who likes hops, like me, would love this beer more with a slightly modified hop schedule. I'm glad i read a post on here that said to add more at the 60 and double the 15 and 10 as it made the beer more enjoyable for me. I'm happy i did that rather than brewing a 5 gallon batch that had a slightly less hop character than what i remembered that the OS Citra pale ale had whtn i tried it 2 months ago..

great beer by the way and look forward to taking this recipe and modifying it a little more to play with the flavors. Like dry hop with citra and pasturized pineapple.
__________________
Primary: Gumball Head Clone
Secondary: Pineapple Pale Ale
Kegged: Not Your Fathers Root Beer/ double amber IPA/ Edworts Apfelwein
Bottled: Barrel aged vanilla stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #76
MoeIPA
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
St Charles, IL
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyind View Post
I am new to brewing and i am still bottling my beer, my question is how do i dry hop. i have never done it

thanks
jim
dry hopping is adding additional hops after the primary fermentation is complete. I like to transfer my beer from the fermenter to a glass carboy to dry hop my beer from anywhere from 7 - 10 days. Dry hopping doesnt add to the bitterness of the beer, it adds to the aroma.

__________________
Primary: Gumball Head Clone
Secondary: Pineapple Pale Ale
Kegged: Not Your Fathers Root Beer/ double amber IPA/ Edworts Apfelwein
Bottled: Barrel aged vanilla stout

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #77
sherma
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Portland, Oregon
Posts: 180
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


How do you think this would be if you eliminated the FWH and only did the hop bursting?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #78
mkringii
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mkringii's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 433
Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by meevoo View Post
How do you think this would be if you eliminated the FWH and only did the hop bursting?
Would lose 3/4 of the bitterness.. jus wouldnt be balanced i would think
__________________
Tap 1: Honey Brown
Tap 2: American Barleywine
Tap 3: BBA Vanilla Chocolate Milk Stout
Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: Sour Honey Brown
Tap 6: Centennial Blonde

Nitro
Tap 7: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 8: Imperial Pumpkin Pie Stout

Bottled: English Barleywine

Kegged:

Fermenting: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, KBS Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #79
sherma
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Portland, Oregon
Posts: 180
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


I guess I ask because I am planning to make this. I found this which is based on AleSmith Evil Dead Red and doesn't add any hops until the last 20 minutes of a 90 minute boil. It also mashes at 154, which should produce a lot of sweetness, but this beer only has 24 IBU. I would think it be unbalanced as well, but people rave over the Evil Dead Red.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #80
mkringii
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mkringii's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 433
Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by meevoo View Post
I guess I ask because I am planning to make this. I found this which is based on AleSmith Evil Dead Red and doesn't add any hops until the last 20 minutes of a 90 minute boil. It also mashes at 154, which should produce a lot of sweetness, but this beer only has 24 IBU. I would think it be unbalanced as well, but people rave over the Evil Dead Red.
.. cant really compare a beer with 23 ibus to a completly different beer with 60ibus.. plus red ale vs apa completly different


__________________
Tap 1: Honey Brown
Tap 2: American Barleywine
Tap 3: BBA Vanilla Chocolate Milk Stout
Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: Sour Honey Brown
Tap 6: Centennial Blonde

Nitro
Tap 7: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 8: Imperial Pumpkin Pie Stout

Bottled: English Barleywine

Kegged:

Fermenting: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, KBS Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Citra Pale Ale jjinsa BIAB Brewing 18 09-04-2015 05:17 PM
Citra Pale Ale VApatriot Home Brewing Photo Forum 2 04-28-2015 06:34 PM
Citra Rye Pale Ale tjohn Recipes/Ingredients 1 01-29-2013 10:27 PM
Citra-Amarillo-Cascade Pale ale (Wedding Pale ale) Cranny04 Recipes/Ingredients 2 06-17-2012 02:29 AM
Dry Hop Citra Pale Ale with Citra? Boek Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 04-30-2012 01:47 AM


Forum Jump