American Pale Ale Citra Pale Ale- Oddsides Clone - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > American Pale Ale Citra Pale Ale- Oddsides Clone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #31
sjohnv3
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Yelm, Washington
Posts: 36
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


Must be a eastern and southern thing. But crap, California does the same thing with Sierra Nevada pale ale. More bitter then Alaskan IPA; at least to my taste buds. A beer does not need to be a hop bomb to be a IPA. What do I know?? I only have a microbrew every other block here in the Great North West! Peace. Out!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:53 PM   #32
mkringii
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
mkringii's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 433
Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnv3 View Post
Must be a eastern and southern thing. But crap, California does the same thing with Sierra Nevada pale ale. More bitter then Alaskan IPA; at least to my taste buds. A beer does not need to be a hop bomb to be a IPA. What do I know?? I only have a microbrew every other block here in the Great North West! Peace. Out!!!

Yes IPA's can be 80 ibu and have perfectly balanced body so you dont even notice the hops.. but seriously if ur just gunna keep arguing find something better to do with your time (go clean your equipment) talking like "what do i know" seriously... dude i live in GRAND RAPIDS we have finished in to top 10 for beer city usa for last 5 years and won it last year... were hosting AHA conference in 2014 and ranked 22nd best city in the world for beer... the worlds 2nd best beer bar (HOPCAT) is less than a mile from my door.. i have a brewery 525ft from my front door... within a mile of my home there are 5 breweries (including FOUNDERS) within 15 miles we have 12 more to add.. but you dont see me raging on about knowing this and that (til now cuz u pissed me off)
__________________
Tap 1: Honey Brown
Tap 2: American Barleywine
Tap 3: BBA Vanilla Chocolate Milk Stout
Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: Sour Honey Brown
Tap 6: Centennial Blonde

Nitro
Tap 7: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 8: Imperial Pumpkin Pie Stout

Bottled: English Barleywine

Kegged:

Fermenting: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, KBS Clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #33
FATC1TY
 
FATC1TY's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,615
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


A beer must certainly be a hop bomb to be an IPA. Thats the point of an IPA. A slightly more bitter pale, more flavor and aroma, essentially a hop bomb.

There is west coast style and east coast. One is unbalanced and more hops, and the other is balanced with more malty sweetness.

But this isn't an IPA, so again.. Whats your point? Have you brewed my clone recipe here? It's a wonderful beer. You can call it an IPA to all your friends and trick them.
__________________
----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #34
FATC1TY
 
FATC1TY's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,615
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mkringii View Post
Yes IPA's can be 80 ibu and have perfectly balanced body so you dont even notice the hops.. but seriously if ur just gunna keep arguing find something better to do with your time (go clean your equipment) talking like "what do i know" seriously... dude i live in GRAND RAPIDS we have finished in to top 10 for beer city usa for last 5 years and won it last year... were hosting AHA conference in 2014 and ranked 22nd best city in the world for beer... the worlds 2nd best beer bar (HOPCAT) is less than a mile from my door.. i have a brewery 525ft from my front door... within a mile of my home there are 5 breweries (including FOUNDERS) within 15 miles we have 12 more to add.. but you dont see me raging on about knowing this and that (til now cuz u pissed me off)

MMmm.. HopCats. I really enjoyed that place for dinner when I was up there for business. Thats where I had the glorious Oddsides Citra Pale, and was served by a really cute chick there too.
__________________
----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #35
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
thadius856's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Marysville
Posts: 2,273
Liked 728 Times on 262 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mkringii View Post
Yes IPA's can be 80 ibu and have perfectly balanced body so you dont even notice the hops.. but seriously if ur just gunna keep arguing find something better to do with your time (go clean your equipment) talking like "what do i know" seriously... dude i live in GRAND RAPIDS we have finished in to top 10 for beer city usa for last 5 years and won it last year... were hosting AHA conference in 2014 and ranked 22nd best city in the world for beer... the worlds 2nd best beer bar (HOPCAT) is less than a mile from my door.. i have a brewery 525ft from my front door... within a mile of my home there are 5 breweries (including FOUNDERS) within 15 miles we have 12 more to add.. but you dont see me raging on about knowing this and that (til now cuz u pissed me off)
Location means nothing. There's plenty of ****ty brewers in the top 10 brewing cities, and plenty of amazing brewers in the bottom 10 brewing cities. Location has absolutely nothing to do with skill. The fact that you live in Grand Rapids is pure coincidence to the fact that it's a top brewing city... unless you moved there out of jealousy of famous brewers, in which case you likely have a problem.

OP, this recipe sounds remarkably like Knee Deep's Citra Extra Pale Ale, though a little ramped up. I'm looking to order hops for now until the fall harvest and I'm pretty interested in your recipe. How would you say it compares to Knee Deep's Citra Extra Pale Ale, or if you haven't tried it, where can I send a bottle for your opinion?
__________________
Was this post helpful? Don't forget to click 'Like'!

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #36
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
thadius856's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Marysville
Posts: 2,273
Liked 728 Times on 262 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
A beer must certainly be a hop bomb to be an IPA. Thats the point of an IPA. A slightly more bitter pale, more flavor and aroma, essentially a hop bomb.

There is west coast style and east coast. One is unbalanced and more hops, and the other is balanced with more malty sweetness.

But this isn't an IPA, so again.. Whats your point? Have you brewed my clone recipe here? It's a wonderful beer. You can call it an IPA to all your friends and trick them.
Does it necessarily have to be a "hop bomb"? I feel like early IPAs weren't necessarily so, as long as they were able to withstand the voyage to India. Though this does bring up an interesting historical point, of which I'd love to hear if the knowledge is out there.
__________________
Was this post helpful? Don't forget to click 'Like'!

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #37
FATC1TY
 
FATC1TY's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,615
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post

OP, this recipe sounds remarkably like Knee Deep's Citra Extra Pale Ale, though a little ramped up. I'm looking to order hops for now until the fall harvest and I'm pretty interested in your recipe. How would you say it compares to Knee Deep's Citra Extra Pale Ale, or if you haven't tried it, where can I send a bottle for your opinion?

I have never had Knee Deep's Citra PA.. I swear I've heard of it though.

This beer has a nice malty backbone to it, very clean profile, with a medium to light body. The bitterness really stays back upon the first sip and then comes out to clean the taste up from being too cloying. The Citra is in the nose, and in the taste the whole way down, and the aftertaste is very clean and citrusy. A nice easy drinking beer at 5.8%.
__________________
----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:07 PM   #38
FATC1TY
 
FATC1TY's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,615
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Does it necessarily have to be a "hop bomb"? I feel like early IPAs weren't necessarily so, as long as they were able to withstand the voyage to India. Though this does bring up an interesting historical point, of which I'd love to hear if the knowledge is out there.
Historical IPA and "Todays" IPA are probably not close, I agree.

Today's IPA's are all pretty much just overloaded with hops. Some brewhouses do it different, but for the most part, it's what most craft drinkers what, so they by nature have to make what the masses demand. It's a trend right now, I think. I love very hoppy beers, but I also at times have found that I have a lupulin shift, and nothing is bitter or hoppy enough for me. So I have to back off for a while and go at it again.

It's really just a regional/brewery preference/ what people like right now/ type of thing. Bigger beers, hops out the top of the bottle beers.. Barrel aged.. It's all just trends that come and go.
__________________
----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:05 AM   #39
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
thadius856's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Marysville
Posts: 2,273
Liked 728 Times on 262 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I have never had Knee Deep's Citra PA.. I swear I've heard of it though.

This beer has a nice malty backbone to it, very clean profile, with a medium to light body. The bitterness really stays back upon the first sip and then comes out to clean the taste up from being too cloying. The Citra is in the nose, and in the taste the whole way down, and the aftertaste is very clean and citrusy. A nice easy drinking beer at 5.8%.
Awesome description. Would you say it has a strong characteristic grapefruit "bite" at the tip of the tongue I'd expect with Citra, or is it a big mellower than that?
__________________
Was this post helpful? Don't forget to click 'Like'!

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #40
FATC1TY
 
FATC1TY's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,615
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Awesome description. Would you say it has a strong characteristic grapefruit "bite" at the tip of the tongue I'd expect with Citra, or is it a big mellower than that?

I would actually say the wheat grist, with the layered crystal tosses off the shaper lychee fruit- grapefruit bite back a bit. It's much mellowed, a very smooth Citra flavor. I think it highlights the aroma, and the flavor of Citra very well, without being so wildly hoppy and intense, yet still has the intense flavor of Citra that everyone so much loves.
__________________
----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Citra Pale Ale jjinsa BIAB Brewing 18 09-04-2015 05:17 PM
Citra Pale Ale VApatriot Home Brewing Photo Forum 2 04-28-2015 06:34 PM
Citra Rye Pale Ale tjohn Recipes/Ingredients 1 01-29-2013 10:27 PM
Citra-Amarillo-Cascade Pale ale (Wedding Pale ale) Cranny04 Recipes/Ingredients 2 06-17-2012 02:29 AM
Dry Hop Citra Pale Ale with Citra? Boek Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 14 04-30-2012 01:47 AM


Forum Jump