Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Citra Pale Ale- Oddsides Clone

Old 01-06-2013, 01:39 AM   #21
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I don't secondary. I just dry hop in the keg and did it for like 10 days or so.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:00 AM   #22
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Just wanted to update that this beer has aged great. The keg is about gone. Been busy lately and less drinking than normal. I can't wait to finish my move and fire the kettle up for another batch of this. Will be SO GOOD in the spring.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:45 AM   #23
sjohnv3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have made this 4 times; this is a recipe I got from my local store and is the only beer I have made more then once. The only difference in the two is the hop schedule. This is actually clasified as a IPA with the high IBU and dry finishing American Yeast. Oh yeah, I use red wheat also.

I dry hop in the fermenter at two weeks. I put the hops in a sanitized white mesh bag weighted down with a butter knife and just throw it in for seven days and then bottle.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #24
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjohnv3 View Post
I have made this 4 times; this is a recipe I got from my local store and is the only beer I have made more then once. The only difference in the two is the hop schedule. This is actually clasified as a IPA with the high IBU and dry finishing American Yeast. Oh yeah, I use red wheat also.

I dry hop in the fermenter at two weeks. I put the hops in a sanitized white mesh bag weighted down with a butter knife and just throw it in for seven days and then bottle.
I'm lost...??

This beer isn't an IPA. It's only 40 IBU's per the info from the brewery and the description. It doesn't have a very dry finish at it's around 11-12 points when it's finished as well.

I think you are confusing something there.

Old 01-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #25
sjohnv3
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Listed below is the 14B AmericanIPA off the BJCP website I just listed ingrediants and style. You may go and look at the rest if you want. The statistics also match the American Pale Ale 10A. Although I would like to disagree with the IBU's you listed. Citra is a very high alpha hop; the bag i just pulled out of my fridge is 15.6%. I only use 1 1/2oz citra at the 60 min boil and I am way over the pale ale guidelines (I use a total of 3oz during the whole boil. Coupled with US 05 and American grains I would definetly call this a American IPA.

None the less, this beer is awesome!

Ingredients: Pale ale malt (well-modified and suitable for single-temperature infusion mashing); American hops; American yeast that can give a clean or slightly fruity profile. Generally all-malt, but mashed at lower temperatures for high attenuation. Water character varies from soft to moderately sulfate. Versions with a noticeable Rye character (“RyePA”) should be entered in the Specialty category.
Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.056 – 1.075

IBUs: 40 – 70

FG: 1.010 – 1.018

SRM: 6 – 15

ABV: 5.5 – 7.5%

Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #26
FATC1TY
Recipes 

I appreciate your posts on the guidelines, but I think you are mistaken here.

This is a recipe I put together from scratch, to try and clone a beer I had in Michigan on a trip. I made this recipe myself in Beersmith, and put it all together.

My stuff is all calculated to the AA% of the hops I used. So my calculated IBU's are correct. The brewer gave me the infomation that the beer is 40 IBU's that they make, and gave me the gravity they started at, as well as the ABV. This beer is no where near a bitter IPA. It's firmly planted in the Pale Ale category as far as taste. I was able to figure the grain and mash schedule, and the hop schedule was a guess. There is no other clone online for this beer, hence the reason I shared it, so others who have had it, and made it even, can add and we can perhaps nail something even closer. This recipe is extremely close, so I'm pretty happy with my first try.

I've you've brewed this recipe 4 times already, I'm impress that you've brewed it every single weekend since I posted it, considering it hasn't been up for a month yet.. I'm quite flattered, and you must have a ton of Citra on hand. I didn't copy this recipe from anywhere, there are simply no other posts about an Oddsides CPA clone. Ask a few guys here, because I've been in touch with atleast one guy here about it. So I'm not sure what recipe you are talking about at your local store, because this isn't it.

Past that, I don't quite get what you point is in this recipe thread? It's about this recipe, and people brewing the one posted, and sharing what they have from making it, or making it better or their own. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm simply not understanding what this is adding the recipe discussion, since you are probably talking about something completely different..

Old 01-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #27
sjohnv3
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Old 01-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #28
mkringii
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts

Yea completly lost here i jus stopped at the winchester and had 3 of em.. no way i hell is the original a pale and his clone recipe is pretty dead on to the original.. worst case u add extra ounce and get 50ish ibus and u still have a strong pale.. but by no means anything close to ipa..

Oh and cuz i dont ever get there til late as hell and its bitch black i havent gotten a pic yet for u to compare srm.. but sunday is a double batch brew day for me so while i mash in my first beer i will go have a pint (cuz its for research) and get a pic in daylight!
Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: Sour Honey Brown
Tap 6: Centennial Blonde

Nitro
Tap 7: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 8: Imperial Pumpkin Pie Stout

Bottled: English Barleywine

Kegged:

Fermenting: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, KBS Clone

Old 01-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #29
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkringii View Post
Yea completly lost here i jus stopped at the winchester and had 3 of em.. no way i hell is the original a pale and his clone recipe is pretty dead on to the original.. worst case u add extra ounce and get 50ish ibus and u still have a strong pale.. but by no means anything close to ipa..

Oh and cuz i dont ever get there til late as hell and its bitch black i havent gotten a pic yet for u to compare srm.. but sunday is a double batch brew day for me so while i mash in my first beer i will go have a pint (cuz its for research) and get a pic in daylight!
Research my friend, it's for the children!! ( or children at heart... )

I'm planning on brewing this again in a couple of weeks when I get settled in at the new digs. I'm thinking about upping the 5 and 1 min additions. Shouldn't be enough to raise the IBU's past where they are in the original.

Oh, and I will update with a pic. This beer has cleared so well, it's like you don't even know their flaked wheat in the beer until you get a taste of it!

Old 01-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #30
mkringii
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts

Citra!!!!!!!!!!!!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130120_150625.png
Views:	1077
Size:	317.5 KB
ID:	95552   Click image for larger version