Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Beer and Pretzel caramels
Old 12-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
I prefer 23383
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Default Beer and Pretzel caramels

gave them a try and definetly worth passing along . . . .
used my homebrew ESB when I made them.

1/3 cup Imperial Sugar® / Dixie Crystals® Granulated Sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups miniature pretzels
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 cups dark beer
1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
3 cups Imperial Sugar® / Dixie Crystals® Granulated Sugar
2/3 cup corn syrup
2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

In a small bowl, combine sugar and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the pretzels, oil and vanilla. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. foil-lined baking pan coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool completely. Coarsely chop pretzels; set aside.

In a large saucepan, bring beer to a boil; cook until reduced to 2/3 cup. Set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, line a 9-in. square pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter and set aside.
In a Dutch oven (no joke I used a freaking ceramic lined dutch oven, like 10quarts, this **** boils over like you wouldnt believe), combine the sugar, corn syrup, 2/3 cup cream, water, salt and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads 238°, about 20 minutes. In a small bowl, combine reduced beer and remaining cream; slowly stir into sugar mixture.
Using a pastry brush dipped in cold water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 245° (firm-ball stage), about 30 minutes.
Remove from the heat. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan); sprinkle with candied pretzels and kosher salt. Let stand until firm, about 5 hours or overnight. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in. squares using a buttered knife. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends. Yield: about 3 pounds.

IF you cut and dont wrap them you will end up with a giant glob of stuck together caramels . . . you have been warned

Originally Posted by P.J. O'Rourke
"There are just two rules of governance in a free society: Mind your own business. Keep your hands to yourself."