Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > I need to housebreak my yeast

Old 01-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
andycr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Just measured it at mash temps, it's within 1 degree of an analog thermometer. Must be something else going on here.

Wondering if I just should have mashed sub-150 for a dry stout. Perhaps the high percentage (10%) of roasted malt was unfermentable sugars? Is roasted malt high in unfermentables?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #12
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Perhaps they are both wrong? Analog doesn't mean accurate. What do they measure at boiling?

Old 01-07-2013, 06:07 AM   #13
andycr
Recipes 

The digital one measures exactly 212 in boiling water.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #14
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 196

25% flaked barley is a large proportion, which could give you a high FG as well. Since your thermometer checks out, start looking at other sources of low attenuation. Grain bill pops into my head since your mash temp was correct and on the lower end.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #15
TTB
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeast these days....ever since spanking became illegal, they have become so disobedient. No respect for mashing temps.

OP was funny.

First thing I think of is aeration. It's hard to get proper oxygen levels by shaking (not sure if that's your method).

Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #16
andycr
Recipes 

Damn yeast, listening to loud music at all hours of the night...

Good thoughts all around, I am indeed shaking for 45 seconds before pitching. I saw a video from a White Labs or Wyeast rep saying that would be even better than straight O2 for most beers, but it was awhile ago.

That said, I think I found the culprit. The temp probe only goes in so far, a couple inches or so. I measured the thickest part of the mash and it's a good 4 degrees higher than the probe's depth measures. So despite the probe being accurate, it just can't go deep enough to get an accurate reading. When the probe reads 144, it's actually at my 148 target for this re-brew of the stout in the center of the mash. So when I was mashing at 152, it was actually more like 156. Mystery solved... I think. We'll see in a few weeks.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
Hermit
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
The digital one measures exactly 212 in boiling water.
Unless you are at sea level that is too high. I'm about 1000ft above and get 210 which is correct.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html

Old 02-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
Damn yeast, listening to loud music at all hours of the night...

Good thoughts all around, I am indeed shaking for 45 seconds before pitching. I saw a video from a White Labs or Wyeast rep saying that would be even better than straight O2 for most beers, but it was awhile ago.

That said, I think I found the culprit. The temp probe only goes in so far, a couple inches or so. I measured the thickest part of the mash and it's a good 4 degrees higher than the probe's depth measures. So despite the probe being accurate, it just can't go deep enough to get an accurate reading. When the probe reads 144, it's actually at my 148 target for this re-brew of the stout in the center of the mash. So when I was mashing at 152, it was actually more like 156. Mystery solved... I think. We'll see in a few weeks.
If you think the mash is out of temperature, before you do anything be sure to stir thoroughly. Over a 60 minute mash the temperatures will stratify. Stirring remixes them and gives you a more reliable reading. My mash usually stirs back up to the temp I was aiming for, no firing required.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:32 PM   #19
kpr121
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Unless you are at sea level that is too high. I'm about 1000ft above and get 210 which is correct.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oboilcalc.html
If it were reading too high than he would probably have the opposite problem, too much attenuation.

Primary: Two Hearted Clone[B]
Secondary: Table Red Wine, Table White Wine
Kegged:Oberon Clone, "Campfire" Hoppy Red Ale, Brown Trout Stout, Cider
Bottled: Random stuff(Cider, Mead, Wines)
Bulk Aging: Red wine, Blueberry "Brandy"
Up Next: Citra Blonde, Kolsch, IPA, IPA, IPA

Old 02-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #20
andycr
Recipes 

Yeah, stirring helps a lot. My hope was to use the thermometer by placing the remote probe, then just glancing in the kitchen once in awhile to make sure it's still at mash temp. My current procedure is:

Start of mash, set timer for 10 minutes.
End of 10 minutes, stir thoroughly, take reading from center of mash to make sure it's still on target.
If it isn't, fire burner, set timer for 1 minute.
End of 1 minute timer, turn off burner, stir, take another reading. Re-fire for 1 minute increments as necessary until we're back at mash temp.
Once at the right temp again, set timer for 10 minutes, walk away, repeat.

It's a pain, but at least I'm getting consistent mash temps now, and the temps might even be right assuming I have a reliable thermometer. Bought 2 more yesterday, one "instant read" that is only 0.3F off in boiling water accounting for altitude, but takes 30 seconds to get a reading, and one which measures less than 190 in the center of boiling water. Might take awhile to perfect this...