Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > homebrew has ruined me for public drinking?

Old 12-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #21
brycelarson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 17

It's cute baby syndrome. Everyone thinks their baby is cute - regardless of the truth.

The reality is that I can make good beer - but my pro-brewer friends with automated large scale systems can make just as good or better beer.

It's in your head man.

Apec - what beer did you drink after your homebrew?

People Like This 
Old 12-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 37

The only thing here is BMC, so anything i make is better lol. Out side of that i dont seem to get the hangover from my brew.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:48 PM   #23
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I vote for all in your head. I've been drinking craft beers, and macro beers for 25+ Years and been brewing for several of them, and a well crafted beer, is a well crafted beer, regardless of whether it was made by you, a macrobrewy a craft brewery or the local brew pub. Granted even commercial beer can be infected, or suffer from dirty lines......But that's going to be the minority, rather than the majority.

I think what you're having is what's often called a "Pink Cloud" experience. This is all new, and everything homebrewing is bright and shiny, and your (excuse the metaphor) poop doesn't stink (or in this case your yeast farts ). And I think eventually the "high" will mellow, and things will be more "real." And you'll have a more down to earth perspective on things. This is common to anything...You've heard about it in religion I'm sure, or even quitting smoking....the new convert is often the most annoying, because they've gone from one extreme to the other, but eventually they'll swing back to the middle. You'll start to taste well crafted and excellent beers other than homebrew once again, and maybe even realize that some of yours and other people's homewbrew can often taste like crap too.
Agreed--one of my absolute favorite beers is one made by my wife's cousin's nanobrewery, a bourbon-barrel aged porter that is almost unthinkably good. It's about a billion times better than any porter I've ever made. I think I could probably get close to it if I bothered to buy a bourbon barrel and age the stuff for six months the way they do, but I doubt I'll ever get around to it. Fact is, the best breweries (be they nano, micro, or, god forbid, larger) make damn fine beer, as good or better than anything we make...whether that fits with your personal preferences is another thing, and if you're so happy with your beers that you never want another, so be it. But I highly doubt it's anything to do with the breweries or the taproom.
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Old 12-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #24
apec+1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycelarson
It's cute baby syndrome. Everyone thinks their baby is cute - regardless of the truth.

The reality is that I can make good beer - but my pro-brewer friends with automated large scale systems can make just as good or better beer.

It's in your head man.

Apec - what beer did you drink after your homebrew?
We had Carlton draught

Old 12-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #25
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Default There is nothing wrong with you

and there is nothing snobbish about it either. Most of us get into brewing because we want to explore the horizons of flavor, and stay in it because we love what we brew (otherwise whats the point? lets all go buy our beer). It's natural for you to compare what others brew to yours, because yours has been(will be) developed to suit your taste. Also there is NO reason you can't brew better beer than whats commercially available.....and don't listen to anyone who tells you, you cant Period.

Just because I happen to like my own beer doesn't mean I can't enjoy what others make, I'm just harder on them. I'm sure there are beers out there than you will really enjoy, you just have to find them. Plus you could consider it brewing research;o) enjoyable research!!!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:46 PM   #26
brycelarson
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by apec+1 View Post
We had Carlton draught
Hmmm, well, that's a mediocre canned mass produced lager. I would suggest that there's nothing wrong with your tastes being refined a bit.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #27
pwkblue
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default possible

it could all be "in your head", BUT

I have often experienced "off" flavors from bar glassware. Many bars use a double dunk wash system followed by a quick sanitize/dry cycle. Done correctly the process should leave clean residue free glasses....but often corners are cut, and the sanitizing/wash solution isn't rinsed well ...it can be tasted. For me it is very easy to notice in wine...and bit less in beer.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #28
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by BxBrewer View Post
The only thing here is BMC, so anything i make is better lol. Out side of that i dont seem to get the hangover from my brew.
Really? In a city that size? How many places sell beer within a 5 mile radius?
For me, it's miles between anything that you find. Stores, gas stations, you name it.
I can't imagine that in an area as big as you are there aren't hundreds of beers available within a few miles.

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 12-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #29
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Default BX Brewer...

There is a great craft brew scene in NYC.....508 GastroBrewery is a great Place, their head brewer is a great guy Also south of you in NJ we have an expanding craft brew scene (Carton Brewing and Kane Brewing are close to where I live), get out and try the Nano Breweries if you want cutting edge great beer. Consider it research

Old 12-22-2012, 05:10 AM   #30
JLivermore
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

This may get at a more general premise I was surprised there was any debate about. I discovered years and years ago (and I take this to be an obvious truth) -- you can get away w/ more if you drink nicer booze.

Whether it's beer wine or spirits, higher quality = less ill effects.

Amazingly I talked to a friend tonight who claimed this was untrue, that 6 beers of ANY beer were equal.

I was shocked, I know this guy well and this is total insanity to me.

Starting to compare homebrew to microbrew the difference may be smaller but the overall idea to me is the same. I know the homebrew is ultra fresh, minimally processed, and high quality, and thus very hard to compete with.

To get down to the nitty gritty, when talking quantity consumption, higher quality (here meaning homebrew) will have better immediate and 2nd day effects than anything else -- as compared to other microbrews and even moreso compared to macrobrews.