First Brew Choc Chilli Stout from Coopers Stout Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobH1976

Reaction score
Hi All,

Newbie to both the world of brewing and this forum.
I have a coopers stout kit, with a can of coopers dark malt extract as a substitute for sugar in a fermenting bin in my spare bedroom. OG was 1.038. I'm making 25L.
I'm looking for some advice on how to add some chocolate and chilli flavour to the brew.
My original plan was to leave the stout bubbling away in primary for at least a couple of weeks until I obtained a steady SG reading. I then intend to siphon to a pressure barbel, and add some chillis and cacao nibs at this stage to give the desired flavour, though I'm not sure which to add. Is the pressure keg a suitable vessel for secondary fermentation, and do I need to add any priming sugar at that stage? Ideally, I would like to bottle the brew after this. Would that be ok?
Sorry for all the questions. I'm keen to get this right!

Cheers

Rob

Adding the peppers and nibs after primary is fine. I would wait to add the priming sugar until after you are done with the secondary and are ready to bottle or keg.

I would recommend for your first brew to just do the base recipe and focus on the process instead of attempting to add chili and chocolate. There are plenty of brewers who have been brewing for decades that have problems working with chilis and chocolate. It's a subtle art to get the proportions correct.....

I'd honestly urge you to make a good 3-5 batches of base recipes before you start venturing into more advanced realms.

Back