Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > I need a sanity check here

Old 12-19-2012, 11:58 PM   #11
thaworm69
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Sheesh...if God only knew what you were up to...

Old 12-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
uberg33k
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodlandBrew View Post
Yeah, wow much better. Is that MgCl or MgSO4? In either case I would drop it. The malt will have enough Mg. It's better to under do it than over do it. The calculator spread sheets are a good approximation, but still just an approximation. If you aim short, measure pH and add acid if needed you are probably better off.

Here is some information:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/10/mash-ph.html
It's probably going to get dropped because I can't find MgCl2 anyway.

Now, this isn't the first time I've seen "the malt will have enough Mg". If that's correct, why isn't that accounted for in any brew water spreadsheet?

Unrelated side note: you should post your blog articles to the homebrew community on G+. Quality content you got there.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberg33k View Post
Now, this isn't the first time I've seen "the malt will have enough Mg". If that's correct, why isn't that accounted for in any brew water spreadsheet?
Good question. I would like to know the answer to that as well. If I was going to wager a guess I would say that at safe levels it has little impact on acual flavor.
Quote:
Unrelated side note: you should post your blog articles to the homebrew community on G+. Quality content you got there.
Thanks! That's a great idea. I'm more of a face book person, so it will take a little tinkering to figure out.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 889 Times on 720 Posts
Likes Given: 23

The idea behind water spreadsheets was to determine how to synthesize water. It is only fairly recently that people started trying to predict mash pH (beyond Kolbach's simple relationship) from water chemistry. Malt contains a fair amount of magnesium some of it bound to the phosphate in phytin. It would be the phytin that would effect the mash pH, not the magnesium, and it is the reaction of phosphate with calcium (and magnesium) that Kolbach's formula tries to WAG. Thus magnesium is, in a certain sense, already accounted for.

It's easy enough to make small quantities of magnesium chloride from epsom salts and lime if one has access to food grade hydrochloric acid. But I don't see it doing much for one's beer. Magnesium is not generally regarded as flavor positive.