Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Pecan Mead recipe?

Old 12-19-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
scottv
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I'm understanding you all right. If you make your own extract you get the liquid extract in its purest form and nuts that have a alcohol taste to it ?

Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
saramc
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
If I'm understanding you all right. If you make your own extract you get the liquid extract in its purest form and nuts that have a alcohol taste to it ?
Essentially yes. But you pick up more from the nuts than just the alcohol they were steeped in--the roasted, toasted nut, sugar if you opted to make a sipping cordial. You do not have to keep the nuts after extraction is complete.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:03 AM   #13
Zaffo
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Crap! I never thought to save the soaked pecans. Would have been AWESOME on a baked brie, with a little brown sugar. Dang!
- Johnny Dangerously

Old 12-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #14
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaffo View Post
Crap! I never thought to save the soaked pecans. Would have been AWESOME on a baked brie, with a little brown sugar. Dang!
Actually, no it wouldn't. The nuts have most or all of the flavor sucked out at that point. I tried it with almonds once, tasted like cardboard. But that was an intesting test to see if the extraction worked. I wouldn't even use the spend nuts for filler in bread.

Matrix

Old 12-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #15
iluv2brew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I thought I might of read once in BYO magazine or something like that to freeze the vodka nut extract when you think it's done and then scrape off any oil that might come to the top.
Trader Vic makes a amazing Macadamea liquor that I think would be great mixed into some mead for flavoring. Yummy!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #16
scottv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Y'all stop it now I'm wanting to try this and I promised myself only traditional till I get a few under my belt.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #17
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Y'all stop it now I'm wanting to try this and I promised myself only traditional till I get a few under my belt.
You really only need one under your belt. Then you can experiment. I recomend you start simple. First with a Melomel and then a Meglathin, and then a combined fruit and spice. Then experiment with technique and many combinations. Also, In most cases I recomend oaking.

Matrix

Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #18
scottv
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first is a peach melomel in 2nd fermentation looks like vomit and tastes like dry strong alcohol. But. I'm going to be patient and just let it sit

Old 12-21-2012, 09:50 PM   #19
nitack
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Interesting statement since most people try a JOAM first which is not at all traditional.

I say experiment. You know why I love mead? Because I can try anything and it's perfectly fine. Add anything to wine and some idiot relative that fancies themselves an amateur sommelier will get uppity on you. Mead is so unknown to the general public that you can experiment and people no preconceptions about "what should be".

As for oak... I HATE oak. A little bit is OK in a few rare wines that it actually compliments the natural flavors. Too often I find that people use oak too often because they either can't recognize the flavors or are afraid the wine will not have enough "complexity". Two weeks ago the wife an I went to a winery in Clifton, VA. called Paradise Springs. Aside from the generic name, the wine itself was really bad because of Oak. The oak was the only fricking thing you could taste.

So no to oak!

Old 12-22-2012, 03:34 PM   #20
Wildbill001
Recipes 

WOW. Some great ideas. In reading through all the posts, I think I like the idea of an extract the best. I can then adjust the "pecanness" to our liking. In fact, as I think about it as I'm writing this, it dawns on me that I can start both the extract and a traditional mead. Then I can use part of the mead to flavor and have some as a traditional. Outstanding!

Thanks.

Bill W