Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > High-gravity belgians, under-pitching, and yeast strains.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
cinderbike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default High-gravity belgians, under-pitching, and yeast strains.

I'm putting together a recipe for a high-gravity quad (quintuppel?) in the 14% ABV range. I know that, traditionally, with high gravity beers, you want a HUGE starter and aerate the heck out of it, but I usually underpitch if I'm doing a Belgian to entice the yeast to throw off more esters.

Anyone have experience with ultra high-gravity Belgians and yeast behavior? Or just additional tips & tricks? This will be my first beer to break the 1.100 barrier.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 792 Times on 586 Posts
Likes Given: 319

i wouldn't underpitch that big a beer. the environment will be stressful enough with all that sugar in there. you're going to need a lot of soldiers to conquer that hill.

i would consider adding sugar in waves after primary has starter. that way you'll start off with a 1.080 (for example) beer, but through the addition of sugar on days 3, 5 and 7 you ramp it up to 1.100.

i don't have any experience brewing a belgian that big, but i'm not sure that there is any belgian ale yeast that can get you to 14%. you might want to start off with a belgian yeast and see where it gets you, and have some high-gravity yeast (wlp099 or a wine/champagne yeast) ready to take over once the belgian craps out. if you go with 099, be sure to get it going in a starter first and pitch at high krausen. you want those bugs active before going into a ~10% ABV environment.

there are several excellent threads on this forum that discuss high-gravity brewing - excellent resources.

Drinking: Trois IPA (amarillo/galaxy/simcoe), imperial chocolate stout, dubbel
Carb'ing: Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Aging: TYB saison brett blend, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn