A question about perfect machines - Page 54 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > A question about perfect machines

Old 12-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #531
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
Sorry, I was just mixed up on the terms, I meant to crush the grain, I didn't think the mash tun part was that important, as long as I got it filtered and sparged(I think those are the right words), but rethinking that today and trying to get set up and ready.
It's important if you don't want to be fighting stuck sparges from the start. The manifold/element in the bottom of the mash tun keeps the grain from going through so you only extract the wort. Having too large of an opening (either holes or slits) will cause grain to get stuck and give you no end of grief. Or just use a grain bag and do a modified BIAB in the cooler. I would just install at least a 1/2" ball valve in the cooler before you get started that way.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-31-2012, 06:47 PM   #532
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
You can use one of these in a round cooler with great success. I built a 10 gallon RubberMaid cooler mash tun with one. Just install a 1/2" ball valve through the cooler wall (use the hole the spigot uses originally) and a couple of fittings to go to a 1/2" barb. Then use a short piece of silicone tubing (1/2" ID) to run from the internal barb to the fitting. You can push the ends of the fitting so that they lay flat on the cooler bottom (so turn them 90 degrees at the brass fitting side) while keeping the outlet of the fitting in line with the barb. IMO/IME, a LOT easier than trying to fabricate some convoluted manifold that will take you far longer (and probably not give you any better results).

Inside the cooler will look very similar to this, just with the T screen instead of the straight one.
Okay, yes, I watched a video earlier and it was very similar to that. Thanks!!!

Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #533
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
Or just use a grain bag and do a modified BIAB in the cooler. I would just install at least a 1/2" ball valve in the cooler before you get started that way.
Okay, I may try that method... Should have thought this through better before ordering the AG kits, but, hey, I'll make it work!!!

Old 12-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #534
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

It's already coming together and I think this will be the perfect machine for the job... not going show pics through, til I get my kits and see if it works. Because if it works... then you can't laugh at it.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #535
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010

Quote:
It's already coming together and I think this will be the perfect machine for the job... not going show pics through, til I get my kits and see if it works. Because if it works... then you can't laugh at it.
Says who??

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #536
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
Says who??
Alright, yeah, you can laugh, but you won't be able to tell me that it'll never work!

Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #537
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010

Quote:
Alright, yeah, you can laugh, but you won't be able to tell me that it'll never work!
We shall see about that... I'll hold off until you've built it and post pictures... Just leave your squirrel squisher to processing squirrel meat...

Fermenting
K1:

Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #538
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
We shall see about that... I'll hold off until you've built it and post pictures... Just leave your squirrel squisher to processing squirrel meat...
Yes, hold off... this set up I'm planning might work... we'll see and thanks for the vote of confidence.

Oh, you mean go buy a new one when I already got one? I'm getting it cleaned up, got it taken apart now, dunking it in the hydrogenator, that'll clean it up nice. I must say though, residual squirrel is pretty gross.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #539
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010

Quote:
Yes, hold off... this set up I'm planning might work... we'll see and thanks for the vote of confidence.

Oh, you mean go buy a new one when I already got one? I'm getting it cleaned up, got it taken apart now, dunking it in the hydrogenator, that'll clean it up nice. I must say though, residual squirrel is pretty gross.
And you were just planning to toss the grain right into it, weren't you...

What do you have for a hopper for the squisher?? You need a way to feed the grain to it.

Fermenting
K1:

Old 12-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #540
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
And you were just planning to toss the grain right into it, weren't you...

What do you have for a hopper for the squisher?? You need a way to feed the grain to it.
No, I was going to clean it up first...

I have something rigged up for that, grabbed some stuff out of the recycle bin, took a little saw to it and I think I got that part figured out. Super glue is my friend. I'm not sure if I know what you are talking about, but I think I do.