A question about perfect machines - Page 50 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > A question about perfect machines

Old 12-31-2012, 04:51 AM   #491
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Mash tuns serve a purpose. That is to mash! They are all pretty much the same. Your choice will do you well.
They only differ in construction of the vessel, the way they filter the grain, how you sparge with them, and such... So yeah, pretty much the same.

I've set up two cooler mash tuns before with two different style bazooka screens. My keggle mash tun uses a NorCal full diameter false bottom. The keggle mash tun is the one I like the most of the three. Not sure what I'll get for the next step up, depending on the target size. I might not have much choice there.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-31-2012, 04:51 AM   #492
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Funny, I don't think her mind was in that gutter GD.. but it was funny.
Something went over my head, okay, whatevah....

Old 12-31-2012, 04:54 AM   #493
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
They only differ in construction of the vessel, the way they filter the grain, how you sparge with them, and such... So yeah, pretty much the same.

I've set up two cooler mash tuns before with two different style bazooka screens. My keggle mash tun uses a NorCal full diameter false bottom. The keggle mash tun is the one I like the most of the three. Not sure what I'll get for the next step up, depending on the target size. I might not have much choice there.

Okay, I'm just going to use the tubing I got from Home Depot. Rig it up and make it work... go all redneck on it!

Old 12-31-2012, 04:56 AM   #494
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbiLynn View Post
Okay, I'm just going to use the tubing I got from Home Depot. Rig it up and make it work... go all redneck on it!

Just be sure to make SMALL cuts/holes for the grain to filter through... OR look at the threads from people who have made them with success. IMO, you can buy a bazooka screen for short money. Get that installed and go from there. Trying to make something different can lead to more headaches, frustration, and throwing of mash tuns.

Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-31-2012, 04:59 AM   #495
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:

Just be sure to make SMALL cuts/holes for the grain to filter through... OR look at the threads from people who have made them with success. IMO, you can buy a bazooka screen for short money. Get that installed and go from there. Trying to make something different can lead to more headaches, frustration, and throwing of mash tuns.
I can just use my dremel for that, right? I already have the idea in my head, don't need to look it up...

Old 12-31-2012, 05:01 AM   #496
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010

Quote:
I can just use my dremel for that, right? I already have the idea in my head, don't need to look it up...
Shun-SHENG duh gao-WAHN, not another one...

Click the link in my sig for the translations...

Fermenting
K1:

Old 12-31-2012, 05:05 AM   #497
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
Shun-SHENG duh gao-WAHN, not another one...
I don't understand....you think I'll **** up? I'm going to make this work with what I have to work with, maybe tonight I'm not thinking clearly about it... but once the kit arrives and I read their instructions.... compare that to what I know... it'll work. I got this. I'll ask if I need help.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:04 AM   #498
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

And I don't mean I was squishing whole squirrels through the grain masher. I meant after they are skinned, de-boned, organs and glands removed. You are then left with just a thin layer of meat, fit right through the machine so that's what I though it was for... pardon my mistake....

Old 12-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #499
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010

Quote:
And I don't mean I was squishing whole squirrels through the grain masher. I meant after they are skinned, de-boned, organs and glands removed. You are then left with just a thin layer of meat, fit right through the machine so that's what I though it was for... pardon my mistake....
If you have a set of feeler gauges, see what the tightest gap you can get on that squisher is. If you can't at least get to .039", do NOT use it.

Milling grain requires more precision than squishing squirrel flesh.

And you continue to use incorrect terms... A 'grain masher' is a mash tun, where you mash/process the grain into sweet, sweet, wort. NOT where you CRUSH the grain (the mill or crusher)...

Fermenting
K1:

Old 12-31-2012, 07:12 AM   #500
Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Makakilo, Hawaii
Liked 2176 Times on 1362 Posts

Bobby please stick to beer making. Squirrels, turtles, knomes and such are best left to another thread.

Make your beer with the beer kit you bought. It will be good.