A question about perfect machines - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > A question about perfect machines

Old 12-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts

Okay, I have a question and I really do want to have the answer. Maybe someone here knows the answer, if not, just please ignore this topic. Back to my drunken ramblings, scary part, I'm pretty sober.

So you build a perfect machine, it's perfect in every way. Everything is going along fine, then one day it springs a leak. Is it still a perfect machine? Was it a perfect machine in the first place? Do perfect machines spring leaks?

Maybe if you built it to be self-healing? Or it's a perfect machine that just requires a little upkeep?

Would you keep insisting that the machine was perfect if one day it springs a leak(starts leaking)? Would you try to fix it, or just stand back and watch it leak? Because, after all, it was the perfect machine. It must be able to fix itself?

How is something perfect if you have to go back and fix it? The thing I really want the answer to: Do perfect machines spring leaks? Or was it your own mistake to call it perfect in the first place?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

Is this a metaphor for parenting? If so, I got nothin'.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 12-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Cromwell
Recipes 

Aug 2011
Thousand Oaks, CA
Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts

The word "perfect" means without any flaws or defects. If it's leaking, either it's supposed to leak, or it's not perfect. Even being self-healing isn't perfect.

Now, it's possible that it can be perfect for a limited time. That it is designed in such a way that it will run perfectly until it wears out after a specific time. So it could in theory be perfect until it's done, then spring a leak - but after it's perfect time runs out, it's no longer perfect.

Probably though, there's no such thing as absolute perfection. There are only approximations.

porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Apr 2009
☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Liked 6807 Times on 4023 Posts

It's still perfect if you look at the leak as a feature, not an imperfection.

Maybe you need to be as liberal with "perfect" as you are with "sober".

People Like This 
Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
If it's leaking, either it's supposed to leak, or it's not perfect.
I'm going to go for a walk and think about that... So if it's a fact("if" being the main word) that is was perfect, then the only other conclusion, it was supposed to leak? Or is there another option?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
It's still perfect if you look at the leak as a feature, not an imperfection.

Maybe you need to be as liberal with "perfect" as you are with "sober".
Ah, yes, another option... still going for that walk though... I hope I don't fall down.

porcupine73 Likes This 
Old 12-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
two_hearted

Recipes 

Apr 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
Liked 192 Times on 155 Posts

Someone's perfection is making your machine and maintaining it and repairing it and keeping it up to perfection.

Someone else's perfection is making the perfect machine and not turning it on for fear that it may leak one day.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by two_hearted View Post
Someone's perfection is making your machine and maintaining it and repairing it and keeping it up to perfection.

Someone else's perfection is making the perfect machine and not turning it on for fear that it may leak one day.

It's not the second one, the machine was turned on. Unless they kept it up to perfection, then it's no longer perfect? It was perfect, but now it's not because they let it go? Forgot about keeping up with the maintenance?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Liked 166 Times on 134 Posts

All machines wear out eventually.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
So it could in theory be perfect until it's done, then spring a leak - but after it's perfect time runs out, it's no longer perfect.
Okay, is this the final answer? It was perfect, now it's not, someone forgot to maintain it. So that would be the fault of the creator, not the machine, right? It's not the machine's fault it was neglected?