Bottler's: I commend you all - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottler's: I commend you all

Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #31
Varmintman
Recipes 

Mar 2012
idaho falls, idaho
Liked 663 Times on 416 Posts

The part of bottling that sucks for me is waiting till I have enough empty to bottle. I got 12 cases full right now and only one case empty with a Irish red ready to bottle now. Good thing it is beer and cigar night

Old 12-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #32
techbrewie
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Fargo, ND
Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Yep bottling is awful! go kegging

Old 12-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #33
Chemfreak
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Monmouth, Oregon

I was told that if you are sure to rinse well after finishing one off, then running through the dishwasher as hot as you could get it cleans/sanitizes pretty well. This was from a local homebrew shop.

I like bottling 1 liter bottles, and I can fit more than a full 5 gallon batch with it.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #34
CheshireCat
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Providence, RI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 241 View Post
I've noticed swing top bottles don't hold the same carbonation/pressure as crown tops (at least not for me) and are a little more flat in general. I prefer the crown tops, in 22 oz if available.
I like the 22s but you gotta buy em ($10 for 12 at my LHBS). The 12s are free when you drink a beer and get the labels off. I usually just put 2 cases into a plastic bin with sanitizer water and let it sit there for several days, and when I get around to it the labels are falling off.

I use the Avery 5164 (Staples brand) sheets to print beer labels if I'm gifting, and usually I give the growlers. Unless its my dad, I'll give him a six pack of 12s. Growlers make a nice presentation as a gift but they never come back so I'm using more and more 12s as time goes by.

I'll probably unload the Grolsch bottles. If anybody in the RI/MA area wants them for brewing, send me a message. I have a full green bin of them and you can come get em free any time.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #35
newb
Recipes 

May 2011
Liked 27 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

I like the 22s but you gotta buy em ($10 for 12 at my LHBS). The 12s are free when you drink a beer and get the labels off.
So are the 22s.....

Old 12-22-2012, 06:09 PM   #36
jiggs_casey

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Independence, Missouri
Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts

The monotony of bottling sucks. Stuck, at the sink, repeating the same thing over and over. Or, stuck at the bottling bucket, repeating the same thing, over and over. I tend to get antsy if I sit too long...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!

Old 12-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #37
TNGabe
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 2281 Times on 1538 Posts

Girls, girls, girls - you're all pretty!

lowtones84 Likes This 
Old 12-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #38
PistolaPete

Recipes 

Apr 2012
Casselberry, FL
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

@ rcrabb22: Use Revvy's bottling techniques and it will go by A LOT quicker and easier. I actually enjoy bottling now that I follow his advice. Of course, It doesn't hurt to have some tunes playing and a homebrew in hand!

Old 12-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #39
CheshireCat
Recipes 

Mar 2012
Providence, RI

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
So are the 22s.....
I guess I deserved that. But have you noticed how many "fancy growlers" are out there. As in 22s with a non-conforming top? Usually a 12 crown top is a 12 crown top.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #40
newb
Recipes 

May 2011
Liked 27 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

I guess I deserved that. But have you noticed how many "fancy growlers" are out there. As in 22s with a non-conforming top? Usually a 12 crown top is a 12 crown top.
Yeah I was just bustin balls man, but actually it is getting ridiculous the tops, and keep an eye out on the 12s now too. I de labeled before I bottled the other day and then filled a 12oz bottle only to find out the ring my wing capper grabs onto under the mouth to crimp, was too thin on a bottle. Had to drink it flat :-/ haha, so then I looked and found 3 more like this in the bunch of bottles, wish I knew what company it was. Anyone else run into this / know what ring I'm talking about?