Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Simple Belgian Dubbel Critique

Old 12-16-2012, 04:43 AM   #1
JWB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Simple Belgian Dubbel Critique

Brew-day is here again! I've been reading and learning a lot over the course of my previous 3 batches, and I feel that my process keeps getting smoother (and hopefully the beers tastier). Up next is a simple Belgian Dubbel... I wanted to keep it SMaSH-esque to really hone my process and let the "basic" ingredients shine... If this turns out, I would really like to repeat it with oak-chips soaked in bourbon and vanilla. On to the recipe; please let me know how it looks!

Type: All grain, modified BIAB
Batch: 1 gal
2.5# Bel Pale Malt 2-row
1/4# Special B
.25 Fuggles @ 60
.10 Fuggles @ 30
.10 Fuggles @ 10
Belgian Ale Yeast WLP550

Mash 60 min @ 150*
Dunk Sparge 10 min @ 168

Brewhouse efficiency: 65
Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.7 %
Bitterness: 21.4 IBUs
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 17.0 SRM

Hopefully will brew this up tomorrow if all looks good. Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions... Happy Brewing

Old 12-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 77

IMO, if you don't use candi syrup, it just isn't right. You also might consider pilsner malt as the base. The Special B will add some character, but not the deep raisin and dark, pruney fruit. You should also add some aromatic malt to get that toasted bread crust aroma.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
bnilguy
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

That's a lot of Special B I use that amount for 5 gallons. I'd drop it to an ounce. And use a couple ounces of a medium crystal such as 40 60 or CaraMunich. I'm not sure you can do a smash Dubbel. I think an ounce if table sugar and a couple ounces of an aromatic or biscuit malt is needed too

Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #4
JWB
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for the replies and suggestions... I originally had amber candi syrup, but it was making the ABV and color too high for the style. Reading your replies, I should have significantly decreased the special B which would have made room for the syrup and other toasted/biscuit flavored malts. I have been buying my grains an having them milled at the LHBS, and getting anything under 1/4 # seems kinda ridiculous... After a discussion with other one-gal brewers, I am planning on storing 1# of different specialty grain (unmilled) in mason jars so I can crush the correct amount on brew day along with the base malt from the LHBS.... I think this will significantly help out being able to scale down recipes to 1-gal batches seeing as I can easily do less than 1/4# at home. As always, thanks again for the suggestions. Despite the opportunities in ingredient selection, yesterday was by far the smoothest brew-day I've had yet. I did have a little difficulty maintaining consistent mash temp, but that will hopefully come with continued practice. Thanks again! Happy brewing