Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Strain and Hangover Headaches

Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Lyikos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeast Strain and Hangover Headaches

I have recently noticed that certain yeasts produce more headache generating compounds than others. For me, the headache is the only unpleasant part of the hangover, when I drink a brand of Vodka that never gives me headaches, I can ignore the rest of the symptoms and be up and about no matter how much I drank. For this reason yeast strains that don't make a lot of those compounds are of interest to me.

So far the worst strain I brewed with was Saflager 34/70 (45F Ferment, 35F Lagering). Just one bottle of that gave me a headache that last 3 hours long afterwards

The best has been Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale (65F Ferment), a six pack of 7% stout I made with that could easily be ignored the day after.

So my question is, have you noticed any low headache strains? Post them here if you have.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 662 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Weird you mention this. I was just thinking the other day that even with the same strain of yeast and different brews the headache is different. Using Coopers ale yeast in a light beer clone at about 4% I can drink all night long but same yeast and alcohol in a Moose Drool clone and I will have a headache the next day.

Sucks because I love the Moose Drool clone

Old 12-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Dok
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

That really is funny. I was just thinking of this too. I was looking at the White Labs website at the profiles of the different strains. I would love some some insight on certain strains and which are more prone to creating compounds that contribute to nasty hangovers.
alfista Likes This 
Old 12-15-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 22

acetaldehyde is a by product of fermentation, but is also a biproduct of ethanol metabolism in the liver and is a contributing factor in the biology of a hangover.

As we know acetaldehyde in beer can have a green apple flavor of a young beer. Different yeast strains will produce different levels, but for the most part should scavenge it for food at the end of the fermentation process and remove it from the beer. Its presence in a beer is more likely due to racking too soon off the yeast cake than the yeast strain.

In the liver ethanol is metabolized to form acetaldehyde (which is toxic to cells at high concentrations). Acetaldehyde is then metabolized ,using glutathione, into a harmless acetate. Glutathione is in limited supply in the liver so I'd imagen that even if the acetaldehyde level in the beer is below the flavor threshold, if it is present when consumed it will reduce the available glutathione in the liver, reducing the amount of alcohol that can be metabolized with out producing the excess acetaldehyde that results in a hangover.

Next time you brew your moose drool clone, you might try to condition it a few days longer on the yeast cake and see if you still have this problem.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #5
Lyikos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsquared View Post
acetaldehyde is a by product of fermentation, but is also a biproduct of ethanol metabolism in the liver and is a contributing factor in the biology of a hangover.
For me personally acetaldehyde has never been a problem. It just gives me mild disorientation the next day. The headaches are caused by something else. Notice I said headaches, not the rest of hangover symptoms. I have friends who can't handle acetaldehyde at all, they never get headaches but still have horrible hangovers that consist of mostly nausea and vomiting.

We can't really avoid acetaldehyde because its an intermediary of ethanol metabolism, so I made this thread focusing on headache inducing compounds.

EDIT: Wyeast 1084 that I mentioned before made me beer with a detectable green apple taste in one batch, and strong green apple taste in another, yet it still gave me the most manageable hangover I ever got of beer.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
Bsquared

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 22

This is biology (science) not an opinion. The headaches you get is from excess acetaldehyde in your body causing an inflammatory response in your cells that you experience as a hangover and a headache.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:12 AM   #7
pdxal
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyikos View Post
For me personally acetaldehyde has never been a problem. It just gives me mild disorientation the next day. The headaches are caused by something else. Notice I said headaches, not the rest of hangover symptoms. I have friends who can't handle acetaldehyde at all, they never get headaches but still have horrible hangovers that consist of mostly nausea and vomiting.

We can't really avoid acetaldehyde because its an intermediary of ethanol metabolism, so I made this thread focusing on headache inducing compounds.

EDIT: Wyeast 1084 that I mentioned before made me beer with a detectable green apple taste in one batch, and strong green apple taste in another, yet it still gave me the most manageable hangover I ever got of beer.
How do you know acetaldehyde isn't a/the problem? Do you brew beers that cause only some alcohol metabolism byproducts, and not others?
You might also consider an allergy to hops or certain strains of yeast as headache producers. Have you noticed a tendency to get more headache from more hoppy beers?

Old 12-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #8
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I get headaches from wheat beers almost immediately.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:14 PM   #9
progmac
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 344

It isnt just aldehydes but also fusels

http://byo.com/stories/article/indic...mebrew-science

Old 12-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

We have a hormone called the Anti Diuretic Hormone (ADH) in our bodies. Alcohol depletes the production of ADH. This is why we pee a lot when we drink. Well.. Both the depletion of ADH and the increased consumption of liquids.

With the depletion of ADH, our bodies dehydrate from the inside. Ironic that drinking will lead to dehydration. But anyway with the dehydration if all body fluids, the cerebrospinal fluid also deplete a little bit. The headache from a hangover is from the base of the brain actually being tugged on by a dehydrated subarachnoid space.

Whether or not acetylaldehydes or fusels contribute to the depletion of ADH I do not know, but it would seem to make sense.

Try drinking a big ol glass of water every 2 or 3 beers and you will probably have much less headaches.

Also VERY IMPORTANT do not take Tylenol ( acetaminophen) when you are drinking. The metabolism products of acetaminophen combined with the byproducts of alcohol metabolism will form a toxic compound and can cause liver failure. Ibuprophen is a safer choice.