Working into a keggle - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Working into a keggle

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
BrokenArmBrewing
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
spring hill, florida
Posts: 262
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts



I'm gathering information for my next phase of sourcing my equipment. Keggle! Got a keg for 40 bucks.....a score!....now i'm looking into how to work it into a keggle. I understand that concept for a dip tube. Who is using one? Pros vs cons on a dip tube that picks up at the center of the keg, or stick with one that picks up at the end of the side before it dips lower?

My first thought is that if it picks up at the lowest, your gonna get all your junk, hops, break etc, but a side pick leaves beer behind....Thoughts?
__________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants up to be happy"

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Br...06422039446902

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
milesvdustin
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 630
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


I vote side pickup. You can just tailor your recipes to account for the equipment loss.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsethall View Post
It's like a big hot douche for my brewery.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
BrokenArmBrewing
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
spring hill, florida
Posts: 262
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts


Any idea what that loss is like? Haven't cut the keg yet
__________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants up to be happy"

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Br...06422039446902

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,193
Liked 1654 Times on 1069 Posts


The bottom depression of a keg holds nearly one gallon.
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
BIAB Large Mesh False Bottoms and SS HERMS COILS are IN!!
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
ThreeSheetsBrewing
Recipes 
 
May 2011
, MN
Posts: 225
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


I like mine in 25%ish of the way in so my chiller can sit on the bottom of the keggle with out resting on or bumping rthe tube.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:07 AM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,200
Liked 7699 Times on 5411 Posts


this is going to be a boil kettle?

I have three kegs currently, one is a HLT, and one is an MLT, while one is the boil kettle. Where you decide to have the diptube is really dependent on the function- my HLT is bottom draining (as is my MLT) and for the boil kettle, I have a ballvalve with a side diptube that I can swap out to a bazooka tube if I have a bazillion leaf hops (like today!).
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #7
Transamguy77
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Perkasie, Pa
Posts: 1,016
Liked 78 Times on 69 Posts


I made 3 recently, make sure you fill them with water before you cut the top off cause it is significantly quieter that way, I made all my dip tubes in 1/2" rigid and in the center, when you are draining you can watch it and stop it before it sucks up the trub. And I used Bobby's sight glass kits with the thermometer on my HLT and BK and the 3" round 6" long thermometer in my mash tun, well worth the investment. I just made a new IC out of 1/2 tubing (my 3/8" just didn't cut it) I also put legs on it so it sits just over the dip tube.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
lschiavo
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
lschiavo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Surrounded by Yoopers
Posts: 4,546
Liked 1027 Times on 697 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
this is going to be a boil kettle?

I have three kegs currently, one is a HLT, and one is an MLT, while one is the boil kettle. Where you decide to have the diptube is really dependent on the function- my HLT is bottom draining (as is my MLT) and for the boil kettle, I have a ballvalve with a side diptube that I can swap out to a bazooka tube if I have a bazillion leaf hops (like today!).
So you did brew then...Awesome!

My BK has a center dip tube and I suck every last drop to the fermenters, break and all. I use hop bags to not plug up the plate chiller.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,200
Liked 7699 Times on 5411 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lschiavo View Post
So you did brew then...Awesome!

My BK has a center dip tube and I suck every last drop to the fermenters, break and all. I use hop bags to not plug up the plate chiller.
I did brew. It wasn't.........awesome. Some flour got through the false bottom and clogged up BOTH pumps during the ramp up for mash out. I took apart one pump, but it's still making a really awful noise. I'm going to take it apart again tomorrow. I had a minor flood, too. Bob thought it was major, but it couldn't have been more than 30 gallons of water. He's still mad.


But the beer is blurping away at 66 degrees, and the compost is full of spent hops!




I like the side diptube for the boil kettle, and use that the most but that many leaf hops swapping out to the bazooka tube makes a huge difference!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
diptherunner
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 125
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

I did brew. It wasn't.........awesome. Some flour got through the false bottom and clogged up BOTH pumps during the ramp up for mash out. I took apart one pump, but it's still making a really awful noise. I'm going to take it apart again tomorrow. I had a minor flood, too. Bob thought it was major, but it couldn't have been more than 30 gallons of water. He's still mad.

But the beer is blurping away at 66 degrees, and the compost is full of spent hops!

I like the side diptube for the boil kettle, and use that the most but that many leaf hops swapping out to the bazooka tube makes a huge difference!
Wow. That's a very clam response! Was this in a basement, or garage? 30 gallons and busted pump, and still got the beer done! That's a silver lining! So much for complaining if I miss OG by a few points.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSR Not Working Please Help Bryce Electric Brewing 6 09-23-2014 01:06 PM
How do I know if it's working. frijole Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 01-27-2009 03:10 AM
Is my PID working??? gtg644w Brew Stands 2 10-22-2008 03:20 AM
Reg not working right Jester4176 Bottling/Kegging 3 06-13-2006 03:29 AM
Keggle Conundrum(aderol+boredom=Keggle) Ivan Lendl Equipment/Sanitation 2 05-19-2006 01:02 AM


Forum Jump