Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Looking for suggestions and find a love of beer.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #11
aiptasia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 534 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 162

If I were you, i'd look at what my triggers were and find some beer styles to enjoy that don't factor into the triggers. I've always heard that sulfurous compounds can trigger bad headaches in wine drinkers, and that might also factor into whiskey drinkers if they're aged in charcoal lined oak wine barrels. That being said, i'd probably skip any beers aged on oak for any length of time. A lot of whiskey stouts and Scotch ales are oak aged in this way.

Since you believe that your triggers are related to the bittering compounds from hops, I would use ratebeer or beeradvocate to check the IBU's of the beers you're planning to sample. The BJCP style range for homebrewing can also give you a guideline for how hoppy a beer style should be (in a range) in IBU's (International Bittering Units). The higher the IBU's, the more bitter they taste.

Pick some styles that are low in IBU's and give them a taste test. Many session beers (low gravity mass market beers) are going to be low in IBU's, such as: Pale ales, pilsners, cream ales, fruit lambics, porters, belgian golden ales, etc..

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #12
Stilgar
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Thanks again for all the feedback, have given a few more a try, Banana bread(least the one I tried) wasn't too wise a choice, was able to find a nice double chocolate stout though that was pretty smooth. This has helped a lot from the suggestions y'all have given, getting a better idea now. Thank you!

Old 12-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
Brewtah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Have you tried glutten-free? Just a thought, sensitivity to ingredients can trigger in different ways. The lighter beers you have tried may have more sugars and rice and less malted barley and wheat. Sometimes hop profiles are stronger in bigger maltier beers to balance the profiles.