Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > TEC wine cellar modified for kegging??

Old 12-15-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Default TEC wine cellar modified for kegging??

Has anyone broken one of these down before? I have a 12 bottle version that I'm looking to use the cooling aspect of to make a beer cooler/chiller with. My plan is to use either use the guts from the wine cellar, or remove the door and have it connected to the main assembly. If I rip the guts of it out, and it will work, I want to build it into an insulated box, with taps on it, that I can use to dispense more home brew. I intend to put this in the basement, where the finished room is right about 52-54F. Even in the summer, I believe that room won't get above about 60-65F. Which means, the TEC aspect of this should be able to maintain a ~40F environment inside the box.

Right now, the unit is at a friends house. Once it's here I'll have to see what's involved in removing the housing on it. Unless someone has already done this and has some tips/tricks. Before you say it, I did search already, doesn't come back with any hits here. Surprised me that no one has posted about it yet (or the search just didn't see it).

I figure either 1" or 2" rigid insulation should be good to line the box with. I just want enough room for a few kegs at a time. I might even make it tall enough to hold two levels of 3 gallon kegs. I could have ones in the bottom carbonating, while pulling from the top set (or the other way around). I can see putting bigger brews (like my 12.5% wee heavy) in this kind of setup. Especially since I probably won't be drinking it very fast.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-15-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nɜrd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1389 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 667

I've built several different rigs with Peltiers/TECs. Plan to spend a lot of time troubleshooting your insulation and air circulation. There are countless threads around here describing various builds.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
AnchorBock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'm using a TEC from a 12 bottle haier wine cooler for one keg and it couldn't maintain even 60F inside at 70F ambient (see beer engine thread in my signature). Once I added a fan blowing downward onto the keg with a frozen 1-2 liter jug I was able to keep it as low as 50F (with an ambient temp of about 65F) swapping the bottles once a day. I've been contemplating getting a 2nd unit, but haven't made a decision there yet.

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Maybe I'll just pick up a cheap, used, dorm fridge to hack apart and use...

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine