Cornys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pyro_fighter

Reaction score
I just got two cornys for cheap that are in pretty good condition. They are the pin lock type. Any reason i would want to switch to the ball lock? I see that most people use the ball lock. Ive never kegged yet but i guess im gonna start since i have the cornys now. Also with the pin vs ball lock any other little tips abd tricks would ve awesome

No, start with one and stay with it for the same disconnects. They are cheaper and more plentiful too.

I think he's talking about ball lock, but I'm not sure. Pepsi used ball lock as I recall. If you are just going to stick with the ones you already have then I'd say it's no big deal to try being compatible with the more plentiful type.

Ball lock are shorter so home brewers quickly adapted them because they fit in converted mini fridges. The surplus of ball lock kegs is now gone. I watched them go from $25 / keg to $40 / keg in a year. Pin lock seem to have a bigger surplus so they are cheaper right now. Pick a style and stick with it. And congrats on getting into kegging, you will never look back.

day_trippr said:
Replace "Ball lock" with "Pin lock" and the above would be at least partially correct...

Cheers!

My ball lock are 2 inches shorter than my pin lock.

Ball lock are taller (25" w/o disconnects; ~27" needed w/ disconnects)
Ball lock are thinner (8.5" diameter)
Pin lock are shorter (22" w/o disconnects; ~25" needed w/ disconnects)
Pin lock are fatter (9" diameter)

There are such things as CONVERTED pin lock (i.e. pin lock kegs converted to ball lock)
These would be the shortest (~24" w/ disconnects) and fattest (9" diameter)
maybe this is what nateburn has?

If you have a vessel where you will put your kegs then it's time to get measuring to determine which size kegs will maximize your efficiency in regards to space utilization. However, seeing as you just picked up a couple then I'd roll with what you have. My fridge is vertically limited so pin locks were my best option, however I can only maximumly fit 5 kegs whereas with ball locks I could have fit 6.

pin locks are shorter and wider, ball locks are taller and skinnier. I went ball lock because I could fit one more keg in my keezer with ball locks.

Back