Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Brewers Assoc. Craft vs Crafty

Old 12-15-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
terrapinj
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Default Brewers Assoc. Craft vs Crafty

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pa...rs-association

Is anyone else really put off by this recent article and attempt to more strictly define which breweries are craft and which are "crafty"?

I understand their intent to educate people or to call out InBev etc for their attempts to get into the craft scene by acquisition or spinoff breweries but feel they are alienating quality breweries in the process.

They list some of their own member breweries as not-craft Goose Island, Magic Hat and probably a few others.

They try to pigeonhole use of adjuncts as no longer qualifying as craft beer. This one really bugs me since adjuncts extend far beyond using corn or rice. By their definition most Belgian beers and all the Trappist breweries should not be considered craft beer.

There are some errors in who is deemed "Small." MillerCoors is considered small yet somehow Mendocino brewing isn't small even though they don't come anywhere close to brewing 6million barrels.

Here is a good response from August Schell brewing
http://beerpulse.com/2012/12/august-...-shame-on-you/

Old 12-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I agree with you, terrapinj. To say that a "craft" brewery that is owned by a larger entity is thus, by definition, not a craft brewery is mere elitism. I would prefer that the concept of craft brewing refer more to a dedication to the art of brewing great beer, of a belief that if you brew a beer with great flavor, it will sell, rather than brewing to the lowest common denominator.

I have long argued that the greatest brewers in this country probably work for A-B, Miller, and Coors. Think about it: a Budweiser brewed in St. Louis tastes exactly like one made in Newark or Los Angeles. I challenge any "craft" brewer to accomplish that. The problem is that those big brewers also place too much priority on the cost of goods sold. They sacrifice the flavor of their beer for fear of alienating some beer drinkers. However, those businesses also learned that there are beer drinkers who are more interested in stronger flavored beers. So they spin-off breweries the produce more distinctive products or purchase controlling interests in smaller breweries that do that.

I'm OK with that. I would love to see some of the billions of marketing dollars siphoned off to promote genuinely flavorful beers, instead of the blander products that are traditionally advertised.

Primary: American Pale Ale, Coffee Porter(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Saison
Planned: Either a brown ale or a Scottish Strong Ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 12-15-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
IffyG
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I for one don't get hung up on craft vs 'crafty'. If a brewery makes quality beer I will purchase it. If a brewery makes inferior beer, I won't purchase it. I don't care if it's made by BMC or by some dude nanobrewing down the road, I merely care that it's a tasty beverage...
Airborneguy Likes This 
Old 12-15-2012, 04:06 AM   #4
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 4824 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 4046

Thanks BA, but I'll judge for myself. I'm guessing most of my brothers here will too.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
chuckstout
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 217 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 195

As long as they dont get to crafty and start stealing shelf space from the bomber shelves

Old 12-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 193 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Thanks BA, but I'll judge for myself. I'm guessing most of my brothers here will too.
This

I don't need some moronic guild to tell me what is and is not craft beer and in this age of the internet it is very easy to discover who owns and produces who if a person were that worried about it.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 AM   #7
Nightshade
Recipes 

I was thinking about this article while brewing today (and quite possibly breaking a fever) when it occured to me what this article might be asking so someone chime in and answer me this...

Are they using this as a platform for some type of legislation requiring a certification in order to get a "trappist" stamp? Because this is how it struck me.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #8
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 4824 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 4046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
I was thinking about this article while brewing today (and quite possibly breaking a fever) when it occured to me what this article might be asking so someone chime in and answer me this...

Are they using this as a platform for some type of legislation requiring a certification in order to get a "trappist" stamp? Because this is how it struck me.
I skimmed the article, but I think they are working towards a "BA Craft-Approved" registration. Not legislation, which woudn't work, but more of a de facto approval. I think it's a good marketing idea.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:05 AM   #9
Nightshade
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
I skimmed the article, but I think they are working towards a "BA Craft-Approved" registration. Not legislation, which woudn't work, but more of a de facto approval. I think it's a good marketing idea.
Sounds like another fee to do the same research any moron with an internet connection can do but is too lazy to do for themselves, and you know the fee will be passed to the consumer.

So while everyone extols the virtues of this organization they are simply out to make a buck the easy way off the backs of the workers the same as any other scam artist or union.

I'm going to go drink my very own non certified brew now

Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
terrapinj
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post

i see it as more of a marketing campaign - they have no control over labeling etc

the fact that they call Magic Hat and Goose Island out as non-craft and yet allow them to be members of the BA really makes me scratch my head as to what they are trying to accomplish