Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > The HOBBIT......don't bother
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 12:16 AM   #111
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,326
Liked 2713 Times on 2100 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856

Meh.

200 pages into The Hobbit and you're at the final scene.

200 pages into The Fellowship of the Ring, and you haven't even left The Shire yet.

I read the hobbit in less than 8 hours as a child. What can they possibly fill three movies with? :\
I take it you haven't seen the movie yet


bottlebomber is offline
passedpawn Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #112
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
thadius856's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Marysville
Posts: 2,276
Liked 647 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I take it you haven't seen the movie yet
I have not.

I always say I'm going to watch certain movies in the theater. Then I never do. I hate theaters, especially when I have one at home.

Next I say I'll watch it when it comes out on Blu-Ray. Then I never do. I hate playing for Blu-Rays, especially when I can stream.

Last I say I'll watch it once it hits Netflix or Hulu or any other number of services. Then I never do. I always forget about them by that point.

The cycle repeats.


__________________
Was this post helpful? Don't forget to click 'Like'!

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)
thadius856 is offline
cheezydemon3 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #113
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,326
Liked 2713 Times on 2100 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856

I have not.

I always say I'm going to watch certain movies in the theater. Then I never do. I hate theaters, especially when I have one at home.

Next I say I'll watch it when it comes out on Blu-Ray. Then I never do. I hate playing for Blu-Rays, especially when I can stream.

Last I say I'll watch it once it hits Netflix or Hulu or any other number of services. Then I never do. I always forget about them by that point.

The cycle repeats.
I understand. The last movie I saw in the theater was Top Gun. Not really though. But you get my point. I'm not a movie guy. I had a buddy once who would watch every single movie to come through the theater, even ones that once they come out on DVD are in the flimsy paperback cases and sell for 9.99 a month after the box office. You know, the ones where their only redeeming feature is a set of unknown tits. Ok so I've been drinking.
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #114
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
thadius856's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Marysville
Posts: 2,276
Liked 647 Times on 257 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
I understand. The last movie I saw in the theater was Top Gun. Not really though. But you get my point. I'm not a movie guy. I had a buddy once who would watch every single movie to come through the theater, even ones that once they come out on DVD are in the flimsy paperback cases and sell for 9.99 a month after the box office. You know, the ones where their only redeeming feature is a set of unknown tits. Ok so I've been drinking.
Yeah. Some of my co-workers are there. One in particular seems like he does nothing else. Being a cinemophile is understandable. But he watches everything. And I do mean everything.

Conversations often end with him saying something like, "oh man, that's just like that one scene in Leprechauns: Back 2 tha Hood when Sharice does a line of coke off the fat guy and the leprechaun gets her mid-snort."

That movie didn't even make it to theaters. It was direct-to-DVD. And yes, in case you're wondering, it was a Leprechauns sequel set in the inner city, spun to a black crowd, and filmed on a terribly low budget.

Uh... yeah. Who watches that crap? And how the hell was the phone call I just described to you anything like that scene?
__________________
Was this post helpful? Don't forget to click 'Like'!

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)
thadius856 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #115
wolfstar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hidden Valley, Arizona
Posts: 482
Liked 38 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default

Avid Tolkien fan here, I wore out copies of the Hobbit and LoTR. Silmarilion, Unfinished Tales 1&2, The Complete Guide to Middle Earth, Adventures of Tom Bombadil....geeking out!!!


Anyway, I think the movie will be highly appealing to folks who are not really familiar with the book(s). Lots of action, gore, CG that is well done. Purists will probably do what I did in the first few minutes...admit to ourselves we expected to much from Jackson, and start counting the ways he tweeked things to fit the needs of the profit ratio...

BTW, the part that really disapointed me was how the movie completely failed to communicate the fact that the meetings of the White Council went on for MANY years during whitch Saruman attempeted to sway the White Council from action against the growing darkness in Greenwood (Mirkwood in the later times)...
__________________
Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden...82770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.
wolfstar is offline
0verdrive Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #116
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,326
Liked 2713 Times on 2100 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856

Yeah. Some of my co-workers are there. One in particular seems like he does nothing else. Being a cinemophile is understandable. But he watches everything. And I do mean everything.

Conversations often end with him saying something like, "oh man, that's just like that one scene in Leprechauns: Back 2 tha Hood when Sharice does a line of coke off the fat guy and the leprechaun gets her mid-snort."

That movie didn't even make it to theaters. It was direct-to-DVD. And yes, in case you're wondering, it was a Leprechauns sequel set in the inner city, spun to a black crowd, and filmed on a terribly low budget.

Uh... yeah. Who watches that crap? And how the hell was the phone call I just described to you anything like that scene?
Yes! I'm glad we understand each other
bottlebomber is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #117
headbanger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Hill, KY
Posts: 2,710
Liked 732 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1450

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn
OK, so I didn't give a hoot that The Hobbit was bastardized for the movie.

But tonight I'm off to see Les Miserables, and the director better not have messed with this one. I say it's the greatest story ever told and sacrosanct.

So, maybe I'm a hypocrite. My god I'm excited.
What's so great about it? I've never seen it nor heard the story, but generally I can't stand musicals.
headbanger is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #118
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
passedpawn's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ☼ Clearwater, FL ☼
Posts: 21,084
Liked 4296 Times on 2620 Posts
Likes Given: 3693

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
What's so great about it? I've never seen it nor heard the story, but generally I can't stand musicals.
You'd hate if if you don't like musicals or at least seen the broadway run of the show.

Read the book. If you're not a big reader you might not like that either.
__________________
- Andrew
passedpawn is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #119
headbanger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Hill, KY
Posts: 2,710
Liked 732 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1450

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn

You'd hate if if you don't like musicals or at least seen the broadway run of the show.

Read the book. If you're not a big reader you might not like that either.
Not a big reader but I can certainly appreciate a good story. If you're serious about the best then I will check it out for sure.
headbanger is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #120
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
emjay's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,712
Liked 1715 Times on 1603 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headbanger View Post

Not a big reader but I can certainly appreciate a good story. If you're serious about the best then I will check it out for sure.
If you're not a big reader, you're probably not going to get through the book. It's definitely a great story though, and IMO the best musical (and the only one I know most of the words to ), so if you look at the book and find it daunting, I'd still give the musical a shot (be it the movie or otherwise).


emjay is offline
passedpawn Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbit Brew? hoffmeister Recipes/Ingredients 284 02-22-2013 03:14 AM
Why does this bother me? BBL_Brewer General Chit Chat 19 02-29-2012 12:22 PM
Bjorn's Mead from The Hobbit urbanmyth Mead Forum 2 12-02-2011 04:17 PM
Should I still bother to dry hop? rtbrews Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 02-15-2010 07:10 PM
The Hobbit - the movie, old news? landhoney General Chit Chat 6 12-18-2007 07:40 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

Og

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS