Degassed for the first time - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Degassed for the first time

Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #1
devianttouch
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I degassed for the first time tonight. It's a cranberry wine, 1 gallon, in a Carlo Rossi bottle. I used the hanger and drill method (cut hanger, sanitize, stick in drill, degass) I'm glad I did it in the sink, because it foamed up like crazy! I did loose a little wine but not a lot, and I think I have the hang of it now. I did this about 10 minutes, until I wasn't getting more bubbles.

Of course, my roommate had to come see what I was doing making such a racket.

Him: "You are drilling your wine?"
Me: "Yes. I'm degassing it."
Him: "It has gas?"
Me: "It's carbon dioxide. I'm letting the bubbles out."
Him: "Um... okay."

He must think I'm a lot weirder now that I've starting homebrewing. And I was pretty weird already.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
saramc
Recipes 

Feb 2011
suburb of Louisville, KY
Liked 168 Times on 152 Posts

Good job. Out of curiosity when did you start this batch?

Do you know how to check your wine per the 'pfft test'? Essentially placing a sample in a test tube or even a 50ml bottle(think airplane liquor bottle), put thumb over opening, shake shake shake, place ear near opening, remove thumb. If you hear any 'pfft' you still have gas.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
devianttouch
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the tip!

I started the batch 3 weeks ago. I'm still pretty new at this so that might not be the best - I think I should have degassed sooner. Still learning.