How I purged my kegs yesterday - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > How I purged my kegs yesterday

Old 12-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #1
BVilleggiante
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Petaluma, CA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So I entered a competition a month or so ago and won a 3rd place, but all four judges said my beer was oxidized. Yesterday I kegged some new beer and I want to see if this sounds like I've done enough to limit the amount of contact with oxygen. I purged each keg for 1 minute with co2 at 2psi. Then once the keg was full I burped it three times with co2. Any thoughts?

Old 12-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
woodstone
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Nov 2005
Massachusetts, USA
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Sounds about right to me...and I assume you allowed the air to vent out while doing the initial purge.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #3
BVilleggiante
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Petaluma, CA
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes indeed, I kept the lid off the keg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstone View Post
Sounds about right to me...and I assume you allowed the air to vent out while doing the initial purge.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

May 2011
Stow, MA
Liked 2918 Times on 2179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVilleggiante View Post
[...]Any thoughts?
How "quietly" did you fill the keg with the beer?
And did you keep an eye on your racking tubing?

Cheers!

[edit] And on the back end, did you purge the bottles and cap-on-foam?

Old 12-14-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Liked 491 Times on 427 Posts

I fill my kegs with CO2 before filling them with beer. Vent the pressure then fill via the liquid post. Since I ferment in sanke kegs, I use a CO2 push to move the beer to serving kegs. This severely reduces the chances of oxidization. When I bottle from keg/tap, I also make sure to fill the bottles to overflow (clear beer not just foam) and then close/cap them. If you have a beer gun, be sure to purge the bottle with CO2 before you fill, then cap/close quickly. Not being able to do that previously, is why I've been using swing-top bottles when bottling from tap/keg.

Also, depending on how much head space I have, I'll purge a keg 5-10 times once filled. This is with the lid on, using the pressure relief ring/valve in the lid. Not had any issues with this method. I also, typically, use 5-10 psi after hitting the keg with enough pressure to seat the main/lid o-ring.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine