fermenting temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eauclairedan

Reaction score
Ok...I'm a brewing rookie! (Now that's out the way....)

I'm brewing a 5-gallon IPA kit from my local shop. It's already in the primary, but I didn't realize my basement, where its sitting, is averaging 60-62 degrees. The slap-on thermometer is reading 64 pretty steady. Is this too cold? The fermenting activity on the air-lock looks pretty active. Just curious what people have to say! Thanks!

What yeast was it? In general fermenting that low will get cleaner results which is a very good thing in an IPA.

A bit on the cool side but it will just take a little longer to ferment. I would leave it in there for 3-4 weeks in the primary and you should be fine. You shouldget a nice clean finish with the cooler temps.

Good choice! It should come out great at that temperature. 60 is the low end for the yeast, so it should be fine. After a week or two, once the primary fermentation is complete, some people might move it to a warmer area to let it "clean up" a little better, but you don't have to.

I used Safale-05. Thanks for the quick replies!

Sounds great, the sticker on the side will not be that accurate during the peak fermentation as that process will generate its own heat. I have a big ol IIPA (1.100) going right now and started it at 60F, and have been slowly raising it kinda naturally since it is outside in an opened freezer, it is only at 64 on day 4 and this is the liquid temp. You are going to reduce your fusel alcohols and esters with the lower temps to an extent, 60-68 is the typical range you want your liquid at.

Thanks so much guys! Feel much better about this now. I'm in no hurry to bottle so I think I will wait an extra week than planned to make sure things finish up.

Cheers!

Good choice! It should come out great at that temperature. 60 is the low end for the yeast, so it should be fine. After a week or two, once the primary fermentation is complete, some people might move it to a warmer area to let it "clean up" a little better, but you don't have to.

Good idea.:)

After 2 weeks or longer in the basement I would let it come up to room temperature for a day or two. Don't be surprised if you see fermentation kick up a little when it warms. After a day or two start the hydrometer testing to see if it's stable.

bosco

Back