My Belgian Golden Strong Recipe - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > My Belgian Golden Strong Recipe

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
dgoldb1
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 380
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



How does this recipe look for my Belgian Golden Strong? Do the sugar and Carafoam or CaraPils ratios look ok? Thanks for any input!

1.083OG
1.015FG
9.1% ABV
5* SRM

Belgian Pilsner Malt – 84% - 16lbs
Carafoam or CaraPils – 4% - 1lb
Belgian Candi Sugar - Clear - 11% - 2lbs

Mash at 149*F for 60min

Boil for 90min because of the high % of Pilsner malt.

Hallertau - 1oz - 60min
Styrian Goldings - 1oz - 30min
Saaz - 1oz - 10min

White Labs Belgian Ale (WLP550)

Ferment starting at 68*F. Let rise to 75-80*F after day 5.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:15 AM   #2
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sudbuster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Western Arkansas
Posts: 4,030
Liked 283 Times on 219 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldb1 View Post
How does this recipe look for my Belgian Golden Strong? Do the sugar and Carafoam or CaraPils ratios look ok? Thanks for any input!

1.083OG
1.015FG
9.1% ABV
5* SRM

Belgian Pilsner Malt – 84% - 16lbs
Carafoam or CaraPils – 4% - 1lb
Belgian Candi Sugar - Clear - 11% - 2lbs

Mash at 149*F for 60min

Boil for 90min because of the high % of Pilsner malt.

Hallertau - 1oz - 60min
Styrian Goldings - 1oz - 30min
Saaz - 1oz - 10min

White Labs Belgian Ale (WLP550)

Ferment starting at 68*F. Let rise to 75-80*F after day 5.
Looks like a winner. Made a very similar 10 gal using 1388 a while back. It still smells like the gym lockers in the Y. It's lagering now. I'll probably feed it to the flowers in the end.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
dgoldb1
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 380
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by sudbuster View Post
It still smells like the gym lockers in the Y. It's lagering now. I'll probably feed it to the flowers in the end.
What's causing the smell?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #4
TNGabe
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Posts: 6,655
Liked 2284 Times on 1539 Posts


I think 570 is the Duvel strain, but 550 is good, too. Have you used the clear syrup before? I'll probably get some of the dark stuff eventually, but I'm wondering what the benefit of clear syrup over table sugar is.
__________________
The only thing worse than dumping beer is serving beer you should have dumped.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
dgoldb1
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 380
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
Have you used the clear syrup before? I'll probably get some of the dark stuff eventually, but I'm wondering what the benefit of clear syrup over table sugar is.
I was wondering the exact same thing. I think Belgian Candy Syrup is made from beets and table is obviously made from sugar cane. I can't imagine there would be too much of a difference in flavor. Any thoughts?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
sudbuster's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2007
Western Arkansas
Posts: 4,030
Liked 283 Times on 219 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldb1 View Post
What's causing the smell?
Don't know. But i've used the yeast before and the smell faded away with aging. Time will tell.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 PM   #7
AndrewD
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 289
Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldb1 View Post
I was wondering the exact same thing. I think Belgian Candy Syrup is made from beets and table is obviously made from sugar cane. I can't imagine there would be too much of a difference in flavor. Any thoughts?
table sugar can come from beets as well.

JordanThomas Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Brewtah
 
Brewtah's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 666
Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoldb1 View Post
I was wondering the exact same thing. I think Belgian Candy Syrup is made from beets and table is obviously made from sugar cane. I can't imagine there would be too much of a difference in flavor. Any thoughts?
Sugar from the grocery store is usually labeled "cane sugar". If not cane sugar it is probably beet sugar. I heard this from a reliable source. I have noticed the really bargain brands have no labeling. I guess consumers want cane not beet sugar. Anyway just used it in my Belgium/French Saison.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
hinke
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Cedar Park, Texas
Posts: 232
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Just use regular table sugar. I did that for my Golden Strong and it came out excellent.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #10
hinke
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Cedar Park, Texas
Posts: 232
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I also used WLP570 Golden Strong yeast, and it took forever, but it produces a nice pear flavor which is one thing you want in a Golden Strong.

I actually just used Jamil's recipe, with 3# of table sugar.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with Belgian Golden Strong Recipe - 3 Gallon Partial Mash BrotherBock General Beer Discussion 2 10-31-2012 09:03 PM
Recipe critiique need..belgian strong golden ale..brewing tomorrow! Gritsak Recipes/Ingredients 11 03-16-2010 05:55 PM
Belgian Golden Strong Ale lanemag Fermentation & Yeast 2 08-28-2009 03:39 AM
Belgian Golden Strong Ale jerryalan All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 19 12-18-2008 09:23 PM
Recipe Help: Belgian Golden Strong Ale ColoradoXJ13 Recipes/Ingredients 12 11-08-2008 01:33 AM


Forum Jump