Got it all into bottles, forgot to add priming sugar... - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Got it all into bottles, forgot to add priming sugar...

Old 12-13-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts

Forgot to add priming sugar solution to my bottling bucket before racking. Called around, doesn't sound like any place local has tabs.

I have some extra priming sugar laying around from a kit i haven't bottled yet.

How much should I put in each bottle? Seems like the general online consensus for this muck-up would be 1 teaspoon, but it's not ideal.

Or cap them anyway, order some tabs online and uncap/re-bottle later?

Conditioning:
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast, Winter Warmer, Imperial Red

Old 12-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
SiriusStarr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2012
Chicago, IL
Liked 110 Times on 62 Posts

Is the beer in bottles already or just in the bottling bucket? If it's in the bucket, I'd just add sugar as normal and gently stir it with a sanitized spoon/spatula until it's mixed in. If it's in bottles, I'd probably recombine them into the bucket (gently) and prime as usual, but that's just me...

Bottled: Unnamed 100% Brett Cyser; Second Sun (Orange Guava Cider); First Blood (Wild Cherry Cider); JAOM; Unnamed Holiday Apfelwein.
Planned: Pliny clone. More 7 Stairs Pale Ale.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
fishinfur1
Recipes 

Jan 2012
New Bedford, MA

yupppp, done that one before. I udes a paper plate and used about 3/4 teaspoon sugar in each bottle. I used a little less jsut so they didn't explode on me and with 3/4 teaspoon they were still a touch overcarbed. Just make sure u swirl them after adding the sugar to get it into solution. it just sucks blowing threw that many bottle caps I know.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
dcarter
Recipes 

Oct 2006
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts

I would order the tabs and wait. No harm in letting it sit for a bit but if you try to prime with a tbs you will most likely be cleaning up a mess of broken glass and beer. Your tabs should arrive in a couple of days.

My trash heap fridge rescue and conversion to a first class fermentation chamber

If you don't like your job, you don't strike!.....You just go in everyday and do it really half a$$ed, THATS the American way! - Homer J Simpson

Old 12-13-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Thanks. Capped them all, then found out the local store had Cooper drops. Got those and some more caps. Will uncap and recap tomorrow while my next batch is mashing

Thanks for the help
Conditioning:

Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3180 Times on 1881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfinleyui View Post
Thanks. Capped them all, then found out the local store had Cooper drops. Got those and some more caps. Will uncap and recap tomorrow while my next batch is mashing

Thanks for the help
Good call.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-13-2012, 02:14 AM   #7
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Good call.
If I've learned anything since I've been here, it's "when in doubt, take the option that requires the most patience."
Conditioning:

Revvy Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Padalac
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

you don't need to swirl the beer tho, it will eat the sugar anyway

Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
ludomonster
Recipes 

Feb 2012
berlin, nj
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts

I've done this. I dumped (gently poured) all the bottles into a spare keg and waited a week to try again. About 10 months later, I opened my last bottle to find that it was still very good. Not all is lost.

Gone: Honeybadger Wheat Ale, Bad Amba Jamma, Badder Amba Jamma, Slam Dunkelweizen, Creamer Ale I, Robust Porter

Reason: no strikethrough

Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
boscobeans
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Schenectady, New York
Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts

I don't know how much oxygen can get in during the recapping, but it might be worth looking into using the oxygen absorbing caps..

Just a thought.

bosco