HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > BLC and using a keg to clean my lines

Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
BeerBrent
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default BLC and using a keg to clean my lines

Hi,
normally when i clean my kegerator i break it all down shanks and all and soak, rinse and reassemble. i just bought some BLC and looked up how to use it and everyone shows a hand pump connected to what looks like a nalgene bottle and its pumped manually. i was wondering, is there a problem with using BLC and water mixture in a clean keg and pumping it through my lines and faucet using CO2? why bother with the handpump and bottle?

Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #2
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

I've just started using BLC. When I finish a keg I fill the line with BLC and leave it like this. When I want to use the line again, I flush out the BLC with water and hook up to a new keg. I store the BLC in a keg and the rinse water in another keg.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
BeerBrent

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

thats what i was thinking. use a keg to clean with and another to rinse with.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
rcrabb22

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBrent View Post
Hi,
normally when i clean my kegerator i break it all down shanks and all and soak, rinse and reassemble. i just bought some BLC and looked up how to use it and everyone shows a hand pump connected to what looks like a nalgene bottle and its pumped manually. i was wondering, is there a problem with using BLC and water mixture in a clean keg and pumping it through my lines and faucet using CO2? why bother with the handpump and bottle?
I used to do the same. I built the hand pump version because:
1) didn't always have a spare keg to use when I needed it
2) CO2 costs money and I don't want to use anymore than I have to. When the cylinder runs out, I have to make a trip somewhere to get more.

After doing the keg method and the hand pump method I find the hand pump easier to use. After a soak and rinse, I can use plain pumped air to blow the line almost dry. After that, I run some StarSan through the line, wait a few minutes, then blow out the excess. The tap line can stay closed and sanitized until I need it again.