A major break-through in parenting! From a childless man. - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > A major break-through in parenting! From a childless man.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

So, the wife and a couple friends went to the new joint down the block for dinner. They have barbeque they smoke off-site, a nice draft beer list, and kegs of bourbon. So far so good. Everything is served in mason jars, and everyone sits where they can find room at long oak tables. A little hipstery, but then I have a hipster tendency or two. They need to get the line situation under control and the restrooms arent the best, but I'm sure they will in time. Some of the sauces better than others, and they run out of food quickly... needs a little work but a solid effort. Creamy approves.

What surprised me a bit was the number of folks who brought their infants and put them in those little attach it to a table baby seats. This was at about 8pm.

What really surprised me was that in a bustling, loud beer garden/rib joint you didnt hear a single baby crying. The little guy across from me on the other side of the table had this kind of bemused "where in the bloody HELL am I??" look on his little face the whole time. When I went to the restroom I passed by another infant, this time a girl (helpfully labelled with a bib that said "daddy's girl", sucking her pacifier with a confused wrinkled brow.

Lesson learned. When I have a kid and it starts fussing, I am going to bring it to The Strand, where he or she will be over stimulated in the auditory sense whilst orafactorily they will be bombarded with wing sauce, good bourbon, great beer, and mediocre kidney beans. Brilliant!

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

People Like This 
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts

I know the smell of a good smokehouse calms me down, so yeah I guess it would work for a wee bairn. Or maybe the lack of fresh air was actually smothering the child....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

CreamyGoodness Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
Randar
All your Ninkasi are belong to us

Recipes 

Sep 2008
Wheeling, IL
Liked 5299 Times on 5119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I know the smell of a good smokehouse calms me down
Works for bees, too.

You know, after hundreds of these threads, I think Creamy may FINALLY be onto something.

Either that or hipster kids are just calm by nature. They're genetically/morally/socially superior to all others and they know this at birth, so they're too busy judging all the wannabe hipsters at places like this.

I often feel like the dumbest person in the room here -JuanMoore

People Like This 
Old 12-12-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
Goofynewfie
Recipes 

May 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Liked 312 Times on 207 Posts

A cloroform soaked teddy bear works good too

People Like This 
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Feb 2004
San Marcos, Texas, Texas
Liked 2185 Times on 764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
So, the wife and a couple friends went to the new joint down the block for dinner. They have barbeque they smoke off-site, a nice draft beer list, and kegs of bourbon. So far so good. Everything is served in mason jars, and everyone sits where they can find room at long oak tables. A little hipstery, but then I have a hipster tendency or two. They need to get the line situation under control and the restrooms arent the best, but I'm sure they will in time. Some of the sauces better than others, and they run out of food quickly... needs a little work but a solid effort. Creamy approves.

What surprised me a bit was the number of folks who brought their infants and put them in those little attach it to a table baby seats. This was at about 8pm.

What really surprised me was that in a bustling, loud beer garden/rib joint you didnt hear a single baby crying. The little guy across from me on the other side of the table had this kind of bemused "where in the bloody HELL am I??" look on his little face the whole time. When I went to the restroom I passed by another infant, this time a girl (helpfully labelled with a bib that said "daddy's girl", sucking her pacifier with a confused wrinkled brow.

Lesson learned. When I have a kid and it starts fussing, I am going to bring it to The Strand, where he or she will be over stimulated in the auditory sense whilst orafactorily they will be bombarded with wing sauce, good bourbon, great beer, and mediocre kidney beans. Brilliant!

If you keep them overloaded they have a tendency to shut down.

I'm sure the ribs had more to do with it though.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
Airplanedoc
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Illinois, Outside the peoples Republic of Madigan
Liked 394 Times on 273 Posts

I hate going to a nicer restaurant with a bunch of screaming germ carrying kids in them. If I ran a restaurant there would be a people with kids section just like the smokers aquarium at the airports.

People Like This 
Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
GilaMinumBeer

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7411 Times on 6079 Posts

Good bourbon applied orafactorily to an infant/child has indentical results in the proper amounts.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
VegasJ

Recipes 

Oct 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Liked 72 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofynewfie View Post
A cloroform soaked teddy bear works good too
For what? Getting dates?

(I kid, I kid!)

Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 PM   #9
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Nov 2008
Jay, Adirondack Mountains, NY
Liked 202 Times on 157 Posts

Do the hipster babies wear skinny jeans and ironic t-shirts?

gratus fermentatio Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #10
CreamyGoodness
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Ossining, NY
Liked 2133 Times on 1409 Posts

How old do they have to be before you can give them ribs and bourbon? I offered the baby across from me some but the parents gave me a really nasty look. I was just being nice.

I will admit, though, that offering a baby some babybacks seems to be in poor taste...

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!