Aviation inspired custom built tap tower & fridge setup...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khudfly

Reaction score
Here are some photos of the aviation inspired custom tap tower I built and a few setup shots as well.

I made the tower from .090" aluminum. The front is double thickness with the pieces riveted together with solid rivets just like an aircraft skin. The top and back are easily removed, for maintenance,with stainless steel screws in riveted-in nut plates. Inside of the tower is insulated.
The tap handles are actual throttles from a Boeing 737. (no there is not an active 737 looking for its throttles...these were from a scrapped airframe)
The fridge is a 4.0 cu/ft with a half moon cut out of the back hump to accommodate two 1/6th or corny kegs. The compressor had to be moved back and to the right in the back of the fridge a few inches. I turned the freezer chilling plate upside down & mounted it to the top of the box for plenty of clearance.
A PC fan, with LED lights built into it, was put into a hobby box and attached to the bottom of a large piece of PVC conduit that runs up into my tower to supply cold air from the fridge. The beer lines run inside the grey PVC tube. A smaller air return line from the tower to the fridge keeps the air flowing through the tower.
The first pour is always cold & foam free (other than when I do not do a proper pour like in the first pic).
The last pic is of a 1 gallon sprayer I modified with a keg Sanke receptacle so I can easily connect my beer lines and run sanitizer through them. Only takes a minute.
Hope you all enjoy and thank you to all of the people here on HBT that I got information and inspiration from.
This a fantastic forum.
All grain brewing starts next week! woo hoo...can't wait!

Kevin

1tower.jpg

2tower.jpg

6keginfridge.jpg

7coldair.jpg

8sanibottle.jpg

Actually you are both right...I started out my aviation life as an aircraft mechanic (A&P) but I am now a full time pilot.
I have gotten a lot of compliments from my aviation buddies...and had to give them free beer to!! haha
Cheers!

Anybody know how to turn the pics before I upload them here? They were not sideways when I attached them.

your creativity and workmanship is top notch. Being a private pilot I understand how aviation can filter down into your other interests. I have been trying to find some old steam gauges to mount as tap handles but have not located any junked gauges yet. Your aluminum rivet look is perfect.:rockin:

Anybody know how to turn the pics before I upload them here? They were not sideways when I attached them.

Maybe try rotating them 90 before you post. They would look wrong when you add them but might come out right when they're displayed. :D

sonex said:
your creativity and workmanship is top notch. Being a private pilot I understand how aviation can filter down into your other interests. I have been trying to find some old steam gauges to mount as tap handles but have not located any junked gauges yet. Your aluminum rivet look is perfect.:rockin:

Got a pic of what you have in mind I'm an aircraft mech we throw away broke gauges all the time if I see what you need maybe I can help you out.

My most passionate hobbies are flying (I'm a private pilot) and brewing! Since it's not a great idea to bring the beer to the flying, this is a fantastic way to bring the airplane theme back to the beer!

Well done, I love this! Blue skies and tailwinds to you...

Thanks for all the compliments everybody! I had a lot of fun designing and building the tower. Only problem is I am all ready thinking about building another one with four taps since I am starting to brew all grain now. I just need to find the throttles from a 747.
Wish I could have you all over for a cold one!
Cheers & Be Safe Up There!

Walk into your local shop and talk to the mechanics there. Mention to them the reason you are looking for old junk round gauges and I bet you will get some. Especially if you offer to have them over for a beer when you are done. Good luck! Be safe!

Really nice build. I'm a pilot/brewer and was planning tap handles made from the gear levers of all the airplanes i've flown...but they're hard to come by. I like the throttle idea as an alternative. Hell, if you go with a B-52 theme you could have 8 taps.

Question for the OP...How what did you use to make your sanke attachment for your cleaning bottle? Did you just shorten up a spear and attach the hose to the end?

Question for the OP...How what did you use to make your sanke attachment for your cleaning bottle? Did you just shorten up a spear and attach the hose to the end?

I was able to talk my local craft brewers (SunKing) into parting with a spear they had removed from a damaged keg. I used a standard copper tube cutter and shortened the length and attached the hose.
I will be making a more permanent connection soon that will have a quick disconnect so I can also use ball connections for a corny keg also.
I have a total of $20 invested in a 1 gallon sanitizer as opposed to $50 for a 1 quart cleaner commercially available.
Good luck!

That is by far the coolest tap I've seen.

I'm a C-130 aircrew member. For a while I've had an idea to make a brew and call it "Three down and locked." I'd fashion a tap that looked like a gear indicator, and when the tap was pulled the indicators would turn to "barber pole..."

"I'm a C-130 aircrew member. For a while I've had an idea to make a brew and call it "Three down and locked." I'd fashion a tap that looked like a gear indicator, and when the tap was pulled the indicators would turn to "barber pole..."

Sounds like a great idea! Go for it...
I had as much fun making mine as I do using it...almost. :)

That is the kind of tap handle I am looking to launch my brewery. hard to find joystick for this purpose.

CHuck

easiest way is to get a photobucket account that you use for formus and stuff, upload images to that, then copy the image link from photobucket and paste it into the insert pic box.

I realize as I type that it sounds complicated. its not. I promise.

EDIT. Sorry did not realize how old this thread was. My Bad.

The tap setup is still cool! Awesome job!:D
I've been planning some handles with gauges too. I've got some but need to figure out how to mount them.

Also A&P here... what a great idea. I work on fuel systems, controls mostly so not sure what I could use. but i love the idea...

Thank you!
After several years of service my tap tower has given me and my friends a lot of good times.
Forward some pics once you come up with your own design.
I may build another one this winter for a friend in the medical profession.

Cheers

The tap setup is still cool! Awesome job!:D
I've been planning some handles with gauges too. I've got some but need to figure out how to mount them.
I tig welded ¼-20 nuts on the bottom of the throttles to attach to the tap handles.
Good luck.
Let me see when you get it done.

Back