Lambic ready in 9 months?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JNEL73

Reaction score
I know typically lambics mature over years but I just tasted mine after 9 months and I can't possible believe it can get better. Tart with mineral funk like font. Lambics. My fear is it will change over time. I know I'm working on the bugs schedule but I would like it to be stable at this point. Any thoughts on were to go next? Give more time or split and add fruit?

Thanks jon

Who are you brewing it for? You or someone else?
IMO, if it's where you like it, drink it! Or you could split it and add fruit to half while drinking the other half.
I could be wrong but I believe you could bottle and pasteurize it to stop the bugs from working any further. It should help keep it where you like longer.
The reason I love making lambics and sours is not just the taste but the lack of solid rules! It's experimenting at its finest.

I have a six month that is pretty awesome right now, but since I also have a two year from the same recipe, I KNOW it will get better as time marches on.

I entered a 18 month old into some comps and the main complaint was "Drinks a little young, hang on to it and enter again next year!"

I won best in show in my LHBS's comp this year and got second in sour ales in the Kentucky State Fair with a young lambic. When it was 7 months old it got the state fair ribbon and when it won the LHBH comp it was 8 months old. It can be done especially with Jolly Pumpkin dregs.

What is the gravity right now?

I also have a 9 month old Lambic in primary. It is currently rocking a nice white pellicle and its gravity is at 1.002 or so. I personnally plan on racking it over blueberries at the beginning of february.

What is the gravity right now?

Gravity doesn't seem to predict the changes in flavors and aromas as far as I've seen.

I bottled 5 gallons of a 10 gallon batch at ~14 months at 1.004. It is mostly sour with a bit of funk (generally speaking). I tasted the rest of the batch that was bulk aging - it's much more funky and complex, slightly less sour and AMAZING. Gravity reading? 1.003.

Back