Need help with an Imperial IPA Recipe - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Need help with an Imperial IPA Recipe

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #1
BlakeL
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Orlando, Florida
Posts: 320
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts



I'm trying to come up with a recipe to brew with a friend I only see a few times a year. He's a big fan of Imperial IPA's like Hop Stoopid and Hop Wallop so I would like to do something along those lines. I have a bag of DME I'm going to use and I would also like to get rid of some older hops that I've had in the freezer awhile. Below is the initial grain bill and my hop/grain inventory. Can anyone recommend what I should use?

2 Gallon Extract Recipe:

3 lbs Briess Golden Light DME
8 oz Corn Sugar
7 oz Cara-Pils
7 oz Briess Munich 10L
2 oz Honey Malt

Around 1.082 OG according to Hopville

Inventory

Hops:
Centennial - 1.2 oz
Chinook - .45 oz
Cascade - .35 oz
Columbus - .5 oz
Magnum - 1 oz
Willamette - 1 oz
Kent Goldings - 1 oz
Liberty .5 oz

Grains:
Crystal 80
Crystal 60
Victory
Special B
Biscuit
Briess Munich 10L
Roasted Barley
Crisp Chocolate
Briess Black Malt
Flaked Rye
Flaked Wheat
Lactose

Yeast:
Packet US-04



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:59 AM   #2
FATC1TY
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,615
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


If you want it to be dry, you'll need more sugar, and less caramel malts. Especially with the extract.

If you want to keep the same bill you have there, I'd do a few things.


Drop the 10L.. and do 4 oz of the C60 in there instead.

Magnum to bitter, then you can use whatever you want, and add them at 15/10/5/0, to get the IBU's and flavor you want.

Chinook, Columbus, Centennial and Cascade all like to play well.


__________________
----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
nicklepickles
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Posts: 235
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY
If you want it to be dry, you'll need more sugar, and less caramel malts. Especially with the extract.

If you want to keep the same bill you have there, I'd do a few things.

Drop the 10L.. and do 4 oz of the C60 in there instead.

Magnum to bitter, then you can use whatever you want, and add them at 15/10/5/0, to get the IBU's and flavor you want.

Chinook, Columbus, Centennial and Cascade all like to play well.
+1

Dont forget to get a good dry hop in there also!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #4
BlakeL
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Orlando, Florida
Posts: 320
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts


Thanks for the ideas guys. I removed the Munich 10L, added Crystal 60L and upped the sugar to 10oz to get the OG i'm shooting for in Hopville. For the hops I'll use Magnum for the bittering and I think we might just have to roll dice for the 15/10/5/0 & Dry Hop additions like that one Brewing TV episode. That might make it fun.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
bobbrews
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Sierra, Nevada
Posts: 4,032
Liked 439 Times on 350 Posts


2 Gallon Extract Recipe:

1.5 lbs Briess Golden Light DME (added at boil start)
1.5 lbs Briess Golden Light DME (added at flameout)
11-13% total Corn Sugar (added at flameout)
8 oz Briess Munich 10L
4 oz Victory
2 oz Honey Malt
2 oz Crystal 60

35-40 IBUs Magnum at 60

Perhaps some more IBUs at 30 or 20 if the next additions don't get it bitter enough

Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, Columbus, Willamette from 15-0

Dryhop with 1 oz. of any of the C hops

US-04

FYI - Munich 10L is not a crystal malt. So it's not like you can swap it with Crystal 60L and be better or worse off. Totally different. Carapils however is unnecessary for extract ales since the extract already contains Carapils, but it won't hurt to add if you want to get rid of it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
BlakeL
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Orlando, Florida
Posts: 320
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post
2 Gallon Extract Recipe:

1.5 lbs Briess Golden Light DME (added at boil start)
1.5 lbs Briess Golden Light DME (added at flameout)
11-13% total Corn Sugar (added at flameout)
8 oz Briess Munich 10L
4 oz Victory
2 oz Honey Malt
2 oz Crystal 60

35-40 IBUs Magnum at 60

Perhaps some more IBUs at 30 or 20 if the next additions don't get it bitter enough

Centennial, Chinook, Cascade, Columbus, Willamette from 15-0

Dryhop with 1 oz. of any of the C hops

US-04

FYI - Munich 10L is not a crystal malt. So it's not like you can swap it with Crystal 60L and be better or worse off. Totally different. Carapils however is unnecessary for extract ales since the extract already contains Carapils, but it won't hurt to add if you want to get rid of it.
Thanks for the help Bob. I think I'll go with what you have there. I've had issues with high fermentation temperatures recently so i'm going to find something to insulate the bucket and use frozen water bottles to keep everything nice and cool.

Edit: How does this recipe look?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
kingwood-kid
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
houston
Posts: 1,541
Liked 107 Times on 96 Posts


I'd use all the Magnum at 60 you need to get your IBUs. I'd use all the C-hops you have in stock at 15/0/dry, and largely disregard the IBUs the software says you'll get from that. The dry-hop should be at least twice as big as the .4oz you have now. A little Willamette at 15 or 0 would go fine with the C-hops, maybe 1/2 oz total. If I were your friend, I would not object to a little flaked rye.
__________________
Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #8
FATC1TY
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,615
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid View Post
I'd use all the Magnum at 60 you need to get your IBUs. I'd use all the C-hops you have in stock at 15/0/dry, and largely disregard the IBUs the software says you'll get from that. The dry-hop should be at least twice as big as the .4oz you have now. A little Willamette at 15 or 0 would go fine with the C-hops, maybe 1/2 oz total. If I were your friend, I would not object to a little flaked rye.
Hrmmm.. The Rye is a nice option, I missed that.

I used to hate Rye in beers... But as of late, it's sooo tasty.. Nice spicy note in there. Would play amazingly well with Chinook and the other C's.
__________________
----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
BlakeL
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Orlando, Florida
Posts: 320
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts


I decided to simplify the malt bill and I'm just going to copy the Northern Brewer Imperial Hop Burst recipe by just using half amber and golden with no specialty grains. When I picked up the Amber LME I grabbed 2oz of Simcoe, Citra and Amarillo. Any ideas on using these? I still want to try and use some of my older hops so I'm thinking Centennial and Citra might be a good combo but I don't know when to add them.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
FATC1TY
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,615
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


If you want to jam it with hops, then the Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo and Centennial will ALL play just perfect together.. Best combo in Simcoe Citra and Amarillo in my opinion.

Check the Hop Burst recipe you copied and see when they add the hops..

You can play around with it, but I'd use something to bitter at 60 minutes, like your Magnum you wanted to use up, or even the Chinook.. But you could add the Chinook to the boil as well and get good flavor!

Then around 15-20 minutes, start adding your hops every 5 minutes, and then at flame out, save some for dry hopping. I'd suggest Citra and Simcoe to dry hop a bit with.. If you want to make it easy, and go for the wild side.. Mix the hops you want to use, in equal parts, and then add them at intervals late into the boil.. Will get a combo of it all, and should be tasty.


__________________
----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Imperial IPA Recipe Gabe Recipes/Ingredients 23 12-21-2012 11:11 PM
Imperial IPA recipe GusG Recipes/Ingredients 5 06-27-2011 08:02 PM
looking for help with imperial recipe SilentTitan Recipes/Ingredients 5 11-04-2010 12:12 PM
imperial IPA recipe scubajim Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 11-29-2008 08:12 PM
Help With An Imperial IPA Recipe mrb Recipes/Ingredients 6 09-04-2007 12:34 AM


Forum Jump