When and how should I start buying grains in bulk? - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > When and how should I start buying grains in bulk?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
jdd12364
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Cranston, Rhode Island
Posts: 90
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBrewB View Post
I think I pay 1.75 per pound for base and $2 per lb for specialty. If $.75/lb is realistic ($ 37.50 for 50 lbs if my math is right) thats pretty good.

I assume no one buys specialty malts in 50 lb bags?
I agree , too bad we can't get something local going . 1.75/lb = 87.50 per 50 lb. sack of base . Ct. is doing a group buy @ $32 dollars for a 50 lb sack ( plus shipping @ $2.50 ) of 2 row but the pickup is in Winsor Ct.
Its too bad R.I.F.T. doesn't do something like this !

CT Group buy - http://mash.azurewebsites.net/GroupB...oups/Details/1



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:56 AM   #12
hbr2547
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 183
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jdd12364

I agree , too bad we can't get something local going . 1.75/lb = 87.50 per 50 lb. sack of base . Ct. is doing a group buy @ $32 dollars for a 50 lb sack ( plus shipping @ $2.50 ) of 2 row but the pickup is in Winsor Ct.
Its too bad R.I.F.T. doesn't do something like this !

CT Group buy - http://mash.azurewebsites.net/GroupB...oups/Details/1
Still possible to order? I live in Woodbury CT and would be down for 100 lbs!!!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #13
BigTuna
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
New Haven, CT
Posts: 133
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hbr2547 View Post
Still possible to order? I live in Woodbury CT and would be down for 100 lbs!!!
I'm pretty sure it's open as i've just registered and added my order. We'll see if it appends. They are trying to get 2 pallets.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #14
DrunkleJon
Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
DrunkleJon's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Alexandria, Virginia
Posts: 8,101
Liked 2504 Times on 1762 Posts


Yeowch, 1.75/lb? That is about right when buying the prepackaged 1 lb bags at the LHBS's near me. Calling around to LHBS's its generally about $1 lb round here in the 50 lb bags. You have my sympathy.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #15
BigTuna
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
New Haven, CT
Posts: 133
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


At $32 for 50lb bag of 2-row, I'd say the CT bulk buy deal is a score. That's $.64/lb. I hope this buy happens as it's a great deal

DrunkleJon Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:57 AM   #16
hbr2547
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Posts: 183
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTuna
At $32 for 50lb bag of 2-row, I'd say the CT bulk buy deal is a score. That's $.64/lb. I hope this buy happens as it's a great deal
So looks like goal was met and we're good?



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buying grains in bulk Jamming General Beer Discussion 21 06-04-2012 09:27 PM
Buying grains in bulk sorefingers23 Recipes/Ingredients 6 02-03-2012 09:03 PM
Questions about buying grains in bulk remthewanderer Recipes/Ingredients 1 01-28-2012 08:13 PM
Buying Bulk Grains Bookem15 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 12 12-20-2011 08:51 PM
Buying Specialty Grains in bulk? jdoiv Recipes/Ingredients 3 04-16-2007 04:34 PM


Forum Jump