Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Citra/nelson/sorachi combo?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
fightingfreuds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Citra/nelson/sorachi combo?

Brewing my 3rd version of a Rye IPA this weekend. First two attempts have gone really well using cascade and citra, but just got in 8 oz Citra and 4 oz each of Nelson Sauvin and Sorachi Ace and was thinking about putting them all to use.
For 5 gallons Something like:

60 min: 1 oz Centennial
20 Min: 1 oz equal parts Citra, Nelson, and Sorachi
5 Min: 1 oz equal parts Citra, Nelson, and Sorachi
Dry Hop: 1.33 oz Citra Dry Hop, 1/3 oz Nelson, 1/3 oz Sorachi

Any one have any experience with combining these three? Any recommendations for changes in the schedule?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
jammin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 200

I have brewed with Sorachi before... it's a "interesting" hop in my experience. Sure it has lemon qualities - but that distinct Dill flavor is such a turn off for me.

I recently tried Elysian's "Vahalla". It features Citra and Sorachi. A great beer - but completely overshadowed by the Dill flavor from Sorachi. I dumped most of it.

I have a Citra/Nelson DIPA dry hopping right now - the samples are killer so far. There was also rumor of a Citra/Nelson IPA at GABF this year - folks were raving over it.

good luck!

Old 12-11-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
fightingfreuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks, have seen quite a bit of talk online about citra/nelson being a solid pairing... I could certainly stick to those or maybe down the Sorachi to just one small addition. Feel like experimenting, but I do only get to brew once a month...

Old 12-13-2012, 04:52 AM   #4
fightingfreuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

these 3 are definitely "in" right now, nobody has tried/ might have some insight into how they'd do together??

Old 12-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2246 Times on 1519 Posts
Likes Given: 2345

I don' think Sorachi Ace gets as much play as the other two. I've done Nelson/Citra, but haven't tried Sorachi with them yet. I'm not sure I'd go 1:1:1, maybe 2:2:1 NS/C/SA or 3:2:1 depending on what you're looking for and if you have wet dreams about NS like I do. I'll probably just do NS/Sorachi in a brew soon.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I wont use centennial for a 60 bittering addition not because it wont work just because is just so much better later in the boil. 3 oz of hops in the boil I will like to see more late addtions. I enjot citra better very late in the boil (but thats me) I wouldnt use at 20. I like your dry hopping but Ill move everything else I guess.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I just finished a citra, Nelson, simcoe, ryepa and it Tastes awesome.

The peppery ness of Sorachi might be overwhelming with the peppery-ness of rye beers depending on amounts

Old 12-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
fightingfreuds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

TNGabe: Thanks for the suggestions on ratios, from what I've heard about some of the more off-putting flavors of SA I was considering including less... but that would mean less than an oz of it for the entire boil and dry hop. Since I don't have a good way of sealing them I didn't want to just toss the remaining 1/3 oz. What I'm considering doing though is doubling up on the NS and Citra additions and moving the Centennial to 1/2 oz at 60 1/2 oz with a late addition to get the IBUs right (about 70).

Obliviousbrew: Using the Centennial to 1/2 bittering 1/2 late addition sound like a better idea? I kind of just went with it by default, it's a fairly high AA hop that I enjoy but would really be willing to replace it with any high AA. The 20 minute edition was more to get the IBUs right since I am trying to conserve some hops in the batch. Maybe with more centennial late I can move these to 15 or 10 minutes now....

Xpertskir: I've never used SA and the only beer I know I've been able to taste it clearly in is Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace, which I liked but didn't love. This grain bill is about 20% Rye so a pretty significant amount, oh well I'll give it a shot and let you know what I think when it's bottled up.

So new hopping schedule?
60 min: 1/2 oz Centennial
15 Min: 2/3 oz Citra, 2/3 oz Nelson, and 1/3 oz Sorachi
5 Min: 1/2 oz Centennial, 2/3 oz Citra, 2/3 oz Nelson, and 1/3 oz Sorachi
Dry Hop: 2/3 oz Citra, 2/3 oz Nelson, 1/3 oz Sorachi

Puts me at about 63 IBU which I'm comfortable with